Skip Navigation
*To search for student contact information, login to FlashLine and choose "My Campus" tab.

Search by campus:


All student applications are placed in a pool of applicants, grouped by University Funded and Federal Work Study. 

When advised by a supervisor of a job opening, the Coordinator first reviews applications of FWS students for those who fill the requirements (usually hours and experience) as stated by the supervisor.  FWS is given priority for two reasons:   

-to reduce the student employment expenses of each and every department and

-to fulfill the intent of the FWS program by giving financial assistance in the form of employment to those who qualify and thereby reducing their student loans.

If no viable candidate is found in the work study applications, the Coordinator will review the University Funded applicants on file by random selection.  Qualifying applications are given to the appropriate supervisor for review.

If you decide to hire a student, the student then must log into to register for employment and sign the Employment Certification Statement. 

New student employees must report to Career Services, 2nd Floor, 261 Michael Schwartz Center, with two acceptable forms of identification.  Examples of acceptable forms of identification are KSU photo I.D. or driver's license and an original Social Security card.  (If they do not have these items, they can go to for a complete list of other documents that can be used.) 


A student must be enrolled and maintain at least half-time enrollment (6 undergraduate credit hours, 4 graduate credit hours) and continue satisfactory academic progress.  Federal regulations mandate that no exceptions be made. The University will automatically terminate a student from their campus job if they fall below the minimum class hour enrollment. 

Students are required as employees of a public university to contribute to the Public Employees Retirement System (PERS). This contribution replaces social security. Students who meet the credit hour enrollment requirement as stated above may waive contributions to PERS and receive their full pay, less the 1.45% Medicare deduction. Students waiving contributions who drop below the required credit hours of enrollment will be charged a retroactive 8.5% PERS contribution. The students' employing department will also be charged a retroactive 13.31% PERS contribution for the affected term of enrollment. For more PERS information, visit the PERS website.


Employment should supplement the student’s college experience and not detract from it.  Most students enroll in 12-18 credit hours and find that 10-15 work hours per week do not interfere with classes.  The maximum number of hours a student should work is 30 hours per week.  Student employees may work up to 40 hours per week when classes are not in session (winter/spring break and summer).  You may be notified if any of your students work over the suggested hours per week.  Students are NOT permitted to work during scheduled, enrolled class times.

PAY RATES - Undergraduate

Undergraduate employees are paid the rate of $7.40 per hour, unless otherwise specified.

PAY RATES - Graduate Student Assistants

Graduate employees are paid the rate of $8.15 per hour, unless otherwise specified.


It will take 3-4 weeks for your student employee to receive their first paycheck IF all paperwork has been filled out correctly.

All student employees are required to enroll in a direct deposit program for their paychecks.  Under the direct deposit program, the employee's pay is electronically deposited into the bank account(s) they designate.  Student employees who are having difficulty securing a traditional bank account should contact the Payroll Office, 236 Schwartz Center, 330-672-8640, or email  

The Payroll Office is the central check distribution point for all Kent campus student employees who may receive a paper check prior to the set-up of their direct deposit account.   Students can view their pay stub online in Flashline, including year-to-date earnings and deductions. Login to Flashline and click on the My HR tab, then Pay Stub in the Employment Details box.

All hourly and non-hourly student employees will be paid according to the bi-weekly payroll schedule estblished by the Payroll Office.  Students will be paid over the available bi-weekly pay dates based on the job begin and end dates, including at least one pay date after the job end date.  


Students who have completed an address/name change on Web for Students must remember to also complete an address/name change form with the Student Employment Office (261 Michael Schwartz Center). The address and name on file with the Student Employment Office is where all payroll-related information will be sent. Students may download a Student Employment address change form and fax it to 330-672-2057.


Rest periods are generally 15 minutes in length and are paid as time worked.  Meal periods are generally 30 minutes in length and are unpaid and not counted as time worked.  Student employees are relieved of all duties and free to leave their assigned work area during meal and rest periods.  Supervisors will schedule meal and rest periods so as not to interfere with the department’s normal work routine. 

The following policies have been adopted by the University Libraries from the Career Services Center Student Handbook:

  • Student employees who work a shift of 4-5 consecutive hours should be permitted one 15 minute paid rest period during that shift.  Rest periods should not be taken at the beginning or end of a shift and are not cumulative.  A “break” is intended as a rest period, to be preceded and followed by work.  It cannot be used to cover a late arrival or an early departure.  Students should NOT clock out when taking a break.
  • Student employees who work a shift over 5 consecutive hours should be permitted one 30 minute unpaid meal period and one 15 minute paid rest period during that shift. Student employees MUST clock out for lunch.  When returning from lunch, student employees should clock in. 
  • Student employees who work an eight hour consecutive shift should be provided no less than two 15 minute paid rest periods and one 30 minute unpaid meal period.


We believe our expectations of the student staff are very clear.  If you have any questions in this regard, please consult with either the Coordinator or Career Services. 

A. Detailed disciplinary procedures are at the discretion of the student’s supervisor; however, here are a few general guidelines:

  1. All students are employed at the sole discretion of University Libraries.  A student may be disciplined, including dismissal, for irresponsible or inappropriate behavior.  Below are some examples of behaviors which warrant dismissal:
  2. Refusal to do assigned tasks and/or insubordination.
  3. Frequent tardiness without prior permission or three unexcused absences.
  4. Unauthorized use of University Libraries facilities, materials, and/or supplies.
  5. Improper reporting of hours on time card.
  6. Consistently poor job performance.
  7. Failure to consistently maintain a positive, service-oriented approach toward patrons, staff, and co-workers.
  8. Reporting to work under the influence of alcohol or other illegal substances.
  9. Disrespectful behavior, including but not limited to unlawful discrimination or sexual harassment.

B. Failure to comply with one or more of the listed expectations above will generally be handled in the following manner by your supervisor:

  • Verbal or written (preferred) warning

-Supervisors should document any disciplinary action.

-Verbal:  date and action taken should be recorded or at least witnessed.

-Written:  a blank student evaluation form or memo may be used to record the student's unsatisfactory performance, date of the review, and suggested resolution.

  • Students must be aware that their job performance does not meet UL standards. 

-Provide a copy of your documentation to the student.

-Provide a copy of your documentation to the Coordinator.

  • Steps toward termination MUST be detailed.
  • Dismissal

    A supervisor may bypass step one and proceed to step two if circumstances warrant.

Student Assistant Disciplinary Report Form  This is a link to a Portable Document Format (PDF) file

Authorization for Disciplinary Action Form This is a link to a Portable Document Format (PDF) file


This operational procedure is established to provide an appropriate framework and method to resolve student employment complaints.  As such, this procedure is specifically designed to maintain the integrity of the work environment and to ensure that the rights of students in such matters are clearly stated and protected.  Each employing department must inform all student employees of the grievance procedure upon request. 

As taken from the KSU/Career Services Center/Student Employment Departmental Handbook:

Operational procedures and regulations regarding the student employee grievance procedure, according to the Kent State University Policy Register.


This operational procedure is established to provide an appropriate framework and method to resolve student employment complaints.  As such, this policy is specifically designed to maintain the integrity of the work environment and to ensure that the rights of students in such matters are clearly stated and protected.

General Guidelines:

  1. In initiating a complaint and throughout the formal appeals process, students may seek the counsel of the Office of the Student Ombuds.  The Student Ombuds will provide information, clarify procedures, and facilitate communication as requested.
  2. It is understood that some issues may involve one or more policies which, because of either the nature or the status of the complaint, may be referred to University offices which have separate responsibilities for such policies.  For example, an allegation of discrimination or sexual harassment could be reviewed separately by the Office of Affirmative Action.
  3. There shall be no retaliation or abridgement of a student’s rights resulting from the use of this policy.

Regional Campuses:

Regional Campus academic complaints filed at a Regional Campus are covered by rule 3342-8-06 of the Administrative Code.


  1. Student Employment.  For purposes of this rule, student employment is defined as the on-campus employment of students based upon an hourly rate of pay.  It will include, to a limited extent, certain non-hourly student employees, but it excludes graduate assistantships, teaching fellowships and research assistantships.
  2. Employing Department.  The department (or office) actually employing the student and paying for all or part of that employment from its budget.
  3. Appointing Authority.  The Career Services Center Director is the appointing authority for all student employees at the Kent Campus and is responsible for supervision of the entire student employment program at the University.
  4. Next Level Supervisor.  A department head, dean, executive director or other University officer.

Student Employee and Immediate Supervisor:

  1. Any student employee of the University who has a complaint related to employment shall discuss the complaint with the immediate supervisor within three working days from the date of the incident.  Should a group of student employees within a department have a grievance that crosses supervisory lines, but is confined to a single department, the department head or designee will assume the role of the immediate supervisor in the first step of the grievance procedure.
  2. If the complaint is not resolved orally, the student employee must prepare a signed written statement outlining the nature of the grievance as well as a suggested solution, and present it to the immediate supervisor.  This statement must be delivered within four working days (excluding weekend days and holidays) of the attempted oral resolution.  It is recommended that a student maintain a copy of all correspondence provided to their immediate supervisor.
  3. The immediate supervisor, within two working days after receiving the written complaint, shall review it and submit a signed, written response to the student employee proposing a resolution, along with the next level of appeal information.  Copies of all documentation will be submitted to the “next level supervisor”.
  4. If the resolution is unsatisfactory, the student will inform the “next level supervisor” in writing within two working days.
  5. Within four working days the “next level supervisor” shall review the grievance and the recommendation of the immediate supervisor and provide a written decision to the student with copies to the immediate supervisor and to Career Services Center.  The written decision will also advise the student of the right to appeal, the time period allowed for submitting an appeal (five working days), and the appeal procedure.


  1. The student shall submit the request along with a written appeal to Career Services Center within three working days of the receipt of the decision.  The written appeal must outline the nature of the incident, any attempts to resolve the matter with the supervisor, and provide additional supporting documentation pertinent to the issue.
  2. Within three working days of receipt of the request and written appeal, Career Services Center shall review all of the information for completeness and request any additional information from the student or employing department to ensure clarity of the issue.
  3. After reviewing the facts in the case, Career Services Center will submit in writing to the student a final decision concerning the grievance.  The decision by Career Services Center is final.

Employing Departments:

Each employing department must inform all student employees of the grievance procedures contained in this manual.


If a student employee is injured while working or has a medical emergency, the injury/emergency must be reported immediately to the student's supervisor. If the supervisor is not available, then the injury/emergency should be reported to any full-time employee. Depending on the severity of the injury/emergency, take the following steps.

  • Administration of first aid on-site.  First Aid Kits can be found in all areas with major staff concentrations. Apply a narrow definition of first aid (e.g. placing a band-aid on a small cut, ointment on an insect bite, ice on a little bump; offering Tylenol for a mild headache). When dealing with just about anything more severe, consult with your supervisor and decide on an appropriate course of action.
  • If further medical attention is required, call 911 for emergency medical treatment and/or transportation to a hospital. Do not assume responsibility for driving the individual in a private car. Do not contact or take an injured person with a medical crisis to the KSU Health Center. The Health Center is strictly a cold and flu center and is not equipped to deal with medical emergencies.
  • In the case of apparent cardiac arrest (discomfort in the chest and sometimes in other parts of the body, shortness of breath, cold sweat, nausea, lightheadedness), STILL CALL 911 FIRST. If a CPR-trained UL staff member is available, also begin to administer CPR.

As soon as possible, and no later than 48 hours after the incident, the student employee must complete the form "Employee Report of Injury or Occupational Illness" and return it to his/her supervisor.  Additionally, the student employee's immediate supervisor must complete a "Statement of Supervisor" report prior to sending both reports (forms are available from the Dean’s Office) to the Occupational Health and Safety Office.  The Public Safety Manual contains helpful information regarding workplace safety and provides instructions for reporting occupational injuries and illnesses.  

If, as a result of injury or medical emergency, the student employee misses 2 or more days of work, he/she will not be permitted to return to work without a doctor's statement indicating that he/she is able to resume normal duties.

Students injured while working on the job may be eligible for Workman's Compensation.


To be eligible, a student must incur the injury while working (i.e. on the job/on the clock).

  • Obtain a Workman’s Compensation form from KSU Human Resources, Terrace Hall Annex. Fill it out. In addition to personal information (i.e. name, SS#, address, etc.), the student will have to provide the date and time of the injury. If applicable, the student will also have to provide the name and address of the hospital where treatment was given and/or the name of the doctor who provided treatment.
  • The Workman’s Compensation form should be submitted to Betty Sestili, Benefits Assistant in KSU Human Resources unit (x28332). The form will be faxed to KSU’s managed health care provider. The managed health care provider will take 24 hours to review and then send it to the Ohio Bureau of Workman’s Compensation.
  • The Ohio Bureau of Workman’s Compensation will review the case and send a letter to the injured student. That letter will include a claim # and a form for the doctor/or emergency room to complete. The doctor has to certify that the student was unable to perform his/her job for whatever time period pay was lost.
  • On that same form, the student will request a “Temporary Total” (i.e. for payment to compensate for the wages you lost). In order to determine the payout, Workman’s Compensation will calculate the student’s average weekly wage for the full year prior to the injury. The student will receive 72% of that average.


Whenever a student employee is terminated, you must advise the Coordinator who will complete the appropriate paperwork.

A copy of the paperwork will become a part of the student’s file for that semester.

The original will be forwarded to Career Services.


Verbal Verification of Employment

All requests for simple verification of employment (from prospective employers, investigative agencies, financial institutions, etc.) should be forwarded to the Student Employment Coordinator in the Dean’s Office.  The Coordinator will provide verbal verification of dates of employment and position(s) held.  Inquiries related to payroll/salary will be forwarded to Payroll. 

Job Reference

Students who anticipate using a supervisor as a job reference should ask verbal permission.  The student may request a general letter of recommendation (i.e. a “To Whom It May Concern” letter) which the student can use as he/she wishes.  The request may also be for a letter of recommendation addressing the student’s qualifications for a specific position.  Lastly, the student may simply request permission to list the supervisor’s name as a reference to be contacted by any prospective employer.

Upon receiving a verbal request from the student (regardless of the type of reference), supervisors must secure a statement from the student authorizing the release of information.  The authorization form will be kept on file in the Dean’s Office until the student asks us to remove it.

No job reference should be given without a signed authorization form on file.  In the absence of an authorization form, explain to the person or entity seeking the reference that we would be happy to verify employment (refer to Coordinator as in para 1).  However, it is our policy not to provide references without an authorization.

Basic Procedure

The Authorization to Release Information form is located in the Dean’s Office, in the Student Handbook, on the intranet, and next in the Supervisor’s Handbook. Click to download waiver This is a link to a Portable Document Format (PDF) file

All of the information the student wants released should be initialed.  A signature and date are required in the appropriate spaces.

The original will be kept on file in the Dean’s Office. 

A copy will be sent to the supervisor to inform them of what information can be released.