Center for Peaceful Change records
May 4 Collection -- Boxes 48, 48A
Updated January 2017; August 2018
Inclusive Dates: 1971-1990
Bulk Dates: 1971-1976
Extent: .66 cubic feet (2 document cases)
Physical Location: 12th floor; oversized materials are shelved in map case
Historical Note: The Center for Peaceful Change (CPC) was created in 1971 as a living memorial to the victims of the Kent State shootings of May 4, 1970. The center, initially, was an independent unit that housed the school's peace studies program (or integrative change, as it was known then) with a focus on study, research, and public service. Its May 4 committee sponsored the annual candlelight vigil, as well as other May 4 commemoration activities during the years immediately following the 1970 shootings.
The Center changed its name to the Center for Applied Conflict Management (CACM) in 1994; the name changed again to the School of Peace & Conflict Studies in 2017. It houses the university's peace and conflict studies program.
Scope and Content: The materials in this collection focus largely on the creation of the CPC and the initial years following its inception in 1971. Included are correspondence, flyers, newspaper clippings, programs, proposals, schedules, and other documents related to or created by administrators of the CPC. Also included are assorted songs and poems related to May 4, and speeches given during the CPC's Lectureship in Peaceful Change.
Sponsor: Digitization of this collection was funded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission.
May 4 Collection - Box 48
Folder -- Contents
- CPC: Artists for Justice: Program, May 1974
Scope and Content: A souvenir program created by Artists for Justice, a benefit on behalf of the victims of the Kent State University and Jackson State University shootings.
- CPC: Booklet: Center for Peaceful Change, A Living Memorial to Allison Krause, Jeffrey Miller, Sandy Scheuer, Bill Schroeder, undated
- CPC: Booklet of Poems: Four: In Memory, May 4, 1974
- CPC: Committee Lists, 1971-1972; undated
Scope and Content: Lists of members of the Center for Peaceful Change Executive Committee and Endowment Committee.
- CPC: Conference Schedule and Information, circa 1971
Scope and Content: Schedule and information regarding a conference titled "Objectives and Controls in Ohio Public Higher Education: A University/State Government Conference."
- CPC: Correspondence, 1971-1973
Scope and Content: Includes a significant amount of correspondence to and from Raghbir S. Basi, Director of the Center for Peaceful Change.
- CPC: Correspondence, 1974
Scope and Content: Contains mainly correspondence to and from Michele Klein, Chairperson of the May 4 Committee. Of note are letters sent by Doris Krause, mother of Allison Krause, and Elaine Holstein, mother of Jeffrey Miller.
- CPC: Correspondence, 1975; 1987
Scope and Content: The majority of this correspondence is to and from Amy Shaw, Chairperson of the May 4 Committee.
- CPC: Correspondence, Memos, Notes, undated
Scope and Content: Includes a card from Louis and Florence Schroeder, the parents of William Schroeder, to Michele Klein.
- CPC: Lectureship in Peaceful Change, 1972-1976; 1987
Scope and Content: Includes texts of lectures given by George Wald, Peter Davies, Robert Theobald, and other documents regarding the lectureship.
- CPC: Library Support, 1971
Scope and Content: Includes a report that contains recommendations from the Library Committee, which was created to establish library support for the Center for Peaceful Change.
- CPC: May 4 Memorial Observance, 1971-1975
Scope and Content: Contains documents regarding planning and scheduling of events for May 1-4.
- CPC: Meeting Announcements, 1971-1972
- CPC: Meeting Minutes, 1971-1972
- CPC: Poetry, Songs, Speeches, Writings, 1970-1974; undated
Scope and Content: Includes a May 4 Memorial Address given by Norman Cousins.
Physical Location: Some materials are shelved in map case.
May 4 Collection - Box 48A
Folder -- Contents
- CPC: Clippings: Ohio and National, 1969-1975
- CPC: Flyers, Leaflets, Postings, 1974-1975; 1993
- CPC: Newsletter: The CPC Review, circa 1973
- CPC: Peaceful Change Studies Major, 1972; 1984
- CPC: Press Releases, KSU News Service, 1971-1972; 1990
- CPC: Proposals, circa 1971
Scope and Content: Includes a proposal from the Center for Peaceful Change, titled "Proposal for Planning a Program of Study, Research, and Service Attitudes." Also contains a document regarding proposals for the Peaceful Change Curricula.
- CPC: Speech: Dr. Raghbir S. Basi, May 4, 1972