ETD Submission How-To
The online submission process is largely self-explanatory. The key points to watch for are listed here. You can also download a more complete submission guide for more visual help.
- Go to the OhioLINK ETD Center (http://etd.ohiolink.edu) and select "Submission form for your complete, finalized ETD." You should be able to complete the submission in one sitting but can interrupt it and resume later the same day as noted in (5) below.
- Read the What you agree to page carefully. At the bottom, leave the default selection "My paper's bibliographic information, abstract, and full text." Mark the check box and click the "Continue" button.
- On the Select Your School page, make sure Kent State University is selected.
- On the Information About You page, provide as much contact information as you can in case we need to contact you about your submission. This is especially true if you are not living in Kent or will be moving away soon. Please enter your name as it appears in your thesis or dissertation and avoid using all caps or all lower case letters. The format you use here determines how your name will appear in the OhioLINK ETD Center. If you have any questions about formatting or special characters on this page or the next, contact us before (or immediately after) making your submission.
- At the bottom of this and subsequent pages there is a URL that looks like this:
http://www.ohiolink.edu/etd/submit2/main.cgi?kent1170188209. It's a good idea to make a note of it or print the page in case you can't finish your submission immediately or you lose your web browser session due to a computer crash, etc. For a limited time (until 4:00 a.m.) it will get you back to your submission and allow you to finish it.
- Type or paste your title and abstract into the Information About Your Paper page. Here, too, avoid using all caps or all lower case letters. For best results, the abstract should be in plain language without symbols or special formatting. If you paste text from Word with "smart" quotes and apostrophes or other special characters, they will get converted to unreadable characters when you save the page and generate warning messages. If this happens, fix the text using regular keyboard characters and save the page again.
- On the Information About Your Degree page enter the name of your advisor or co-advisors. Again, avoid using all caps or all lower case letters. It's not necessary to include your committee members.
- The Permissions and UMI Publication page has separate options for OhioLINK and Proquest/UMI because separate copies will be deposited in each place.
- OhioLINK section: Be sure to familiarize yourself with the Creative Commons licenses if you are considering one. Do not request a publication delay unless you have filled out the Request for Delay of Posting form and gotten it approved.
- [Masters theses] Proquest/UMI section: Select "Do not upload my paper to UMI." Anything else requires special arrangement with your College or School office and will entail an extra fee. Skip to Save and Continue at the bottom of the page.
- [Doctoral dissertations] Proquest/UMI section: Choose one of the "Upload" options. The traditional option is recommended. The open access option requires special arrangement with your College or School office and will entail an extra fee that buys you essentially the same service that OhioLINK provides for free.
Note on Publication Delay: As above, do not request a publication delay unless you have filled out the Request for Delay of Posting form and gotten it approved.
Copyright Registration: This is optional and entails a payment of $65 dollars, payable via your College or School office.
- Use the Full Text Upload page to submit a copy of your PDF.
- On the Review and Complete Submission page, use the "Please view your PDF file..." link to verify that the uploaded copy of your PDF is correct. Then review the other information on that page, using the NO - Return to Editing button if corrections are needed. When you are satisfied with your submission, use the YES - Submit My ETD Now button. Or see (5) above if your're not ready to submit and need to come back later.
- Soon after making your submission you should receive an email confirming it. If you do not receive it within a few hours, please contact us.