Important Notice: Due to a grant-sponsored project to digitize materials from the May 4 Collection, in-person use of the May 4 Collection is available by appointment only. Please help us serve you better by contacting us in advance to schedule an appointment for access to this collection.
William C. Barrett papers
May 4 Collection - Box 40
Prepared by Scott L. Bills, July 31, 1980. Updated by Penny White, June 2013; Updated by Haley Antell, December 2017
Inclusive Dates: 1970
Extent: 0.5 cubic feet (1 half-sized record storage box)
Physical Location: 12th floor
Biographical Note: William C. Barrett was born on October 2, 1930. He earned a Bachelor’s degree in Journalism from Kent State University in 1954. In 1967, he was hired as the Editor of Alumni Publications. At the time of his retirement in 1997, Barrett was the Senior Alumni Associate in the Office of Alumni Relations.
Scope and Content: William C. Barrett was editor of the alumni magazine, KENT, at the time of the Kent State shootings, on May 4, 1970. As editor, he and Donald Shook, Director of Alumni Relations, were the recipients of many letters from alumni in response to the shootings. The Office of the President also forwarded letters sent by alumni to the Office of Alumni Relations. These letters comprise the largest portion of the collection, and provide insight into the reactions of alumni from across the country. The collection also includes publications, reports, transcripts of speeches, statements, and photographs used in the publication KENT.
Acquisitions Information: William Barrett donated his papers to the Kent State University Archives in two installments: September 25, 1975 and March 30, 1979.
Restrictions on Access: Some information included in this collection is restricted due to the presence of information protected by privacy laws. This information has been redacted where present on documents in the collection. Un-redacted originals, in all cases, have been retained by Special Collections and Archives.
Arrangement: The William C. Barrett papers are arranged alphabetically by subject or type of item.
May 4 Collection -- Box 40
Folder -- Contents
- Administrative Correspondence: May-September 1970
- Alumni Correspondence: May 3-8, 1970
- Alumni Correspondence: May 9-30, 1970
- Alumni Correspondence: June 2-8, 1970
- Alumni Correspondence: June 10-29, 1970
- Alumni Correspondence: July 1970
- Alumni Correspondence: August-October 1970
- Chronologies: Kent State shootings: May 1970
- Interview: White, Robert I.: May 1970
Scope and Content: Transcript of an interview of Kent State University President Robert I. White by Jerry Hayes.
- KENT magazine: Special Issue: Notes and Content: June 1970
Scope and Content: Includes excerpts of letters sent by Kent State University alumni compiled for use in the magazine KENT, notes, and a partial paste-up of the issue.
Physical Location: One oversized item is filed in the map case.
- Leaflet: Student Funds Information Sheet: 1970
- Legal Documents: Injunction to Close Kent State University: May 1970
- Legal Documents: Special Grand Jury: October 1970
- Press Releases: KSU News Service: May-June 1970
- Press Release: President’s Commission on Campus Unrest: October 4, 1970
- Publication: Academic Information: May 28, 1970
Publisher: Kent State University
- Publication: Bowling Green State University: May 1970
Scope and Content: Untitled publication from Bowling Green State University regarding student unrest.
- Publication: Chronicle of Higher Education: May 25, 1970
Publisher: Kent State University
- Publication: Higher Education and National Affairs: May 15, 1970
Scope and Content: Newsletter of the American Council on Education, Volume XIX, Number 18.
- Publication: Miami and U: May 1970
Scope and Content: Issue of Miami University alumni newsletter.
- Publication: Your Congressman Bill Stanton Reports from Washington: June 1970
- Report: Ohio General Assembly: October 8, 1970
Scope and Content: Full title: “Interim Report of the Select Committee to Investigate Campus Disturbances to the 108th Ohio General Assembly.”
- Report: White, Robert I.: October 29, 1970
Scope and Content: Transcript of an oral report given by President Robert I. White to the Kent State University Board of Trustees.
- Speech: Barrett, William C.: December 1970
Historical Note: Speech given at the District V meeting of the American Alumni Council.
- Speech: Flower, John A.: June 1970
- Speech: Roskens, Ronald W.: May 13, 1970
Historical Note: Speech delivered at a joint meeting of the Ohio Society and Kent State University Alumni in Washington D.C.
- Statement: Bruss, James: May 1970
Scope and Content: Commentary by James Bruss on the activities of Kent State University News Service in May 1970.
- Statement: Matson, Robert E.: undated
- Subject File: Commencement: June 1970
Scope and Content: Includes transcripts of speeches by President Robert I. White, Harris L. Dante, Frank Frisina, an invocation by Reverend H. Gene Toot, and the commencement program.