SEARCH UNIVERSITY LIBRARIES
The Special Collections & Archives reading room is closed, and all in-person (physical, face-to-face) services are suspended at this time. We are here to help! Please contact us to discuss how we can best serve you during this time.
Prepared by Stephen C. Morton, September 9, 1985; Prepared for the Web by Barbara Bass, September 3, 1996
6 boxes, 2 horizontal file folders; 6 cubic feet
This collection is housed in a climate-controlled environment off site and requires at least up to three weeks for retrieval. Please call or email the department with requests for this material prior to planning your visit.
Paul C. Kitchin, Jr., was born on October 18, 1918. His undergraduate career was interrupted by four years of service in the U.S. Army Air Corps, October 1941 to November 1945. He returned to Ohio State University and earned an BA. degree in political science in 1946. In 1949, he received his M.A. degree in political science in 1946. In 1949, he received his M.A. degree in political science from Kent State University and in 1954-1955, he studied for the Ph.D. at Ohio State.
Professor Kitchin joined the faculty at Kent State in 1948, and he retired in July of 1977, with the rank of Professor of Political Science. He was formerly acting chairman of the department of Political Science. He also served as student ombudsman from May of 1970, until his retirement, after having been commissioned by President White to study the ombudsman role and its potential applications at Kent State University. This report led to the creation of the post of ombudsman in 1968.
He is an authority on local governments, having been the director of the Annual Conference on Local Governments held at Kent State University. He has previously been secretary-treasurer of the Ohio Association of Economists and Political Scientists and holds memberships in various organizations, such as the American Association of University Professors, the American Political Science Association, the National Municipal League, and the Kent Chamber of Commerce.
His papers arrived at the University Archives in nine cartons, plus one oversized folder, on June 21, and 23, 1977, receiving accession number UA 77/13. The deposit agreement was signed on July 1, 1980, following the preliminary processing of the collection. Final processing was completed during the summer of 1985, resulting in a final count of six boxes, arranged alphabetically by subject and chronologically within subject, plus two oversized folders. All property rights rest with the Kent State University Libraries, Department of Special Collections and Archives.