Mix-Wadsworth Family, Papers, 1775-1935 [bulk 1800-1842]
Prepared by Merritt D. Betts, February 15, 1979; Revised by Stephanie Wachalec, October 24, 2003
1 document case, .33 cubic feet, 11th floor
Old archives number: D.1.8.2.
Most of the material in this collection was donated by Margaret Cowles Ticknor of Austinburg, Ohio, June 14, 1977. According to a Cowles family genealogy, Martha Cowles, the older sister of Giles Hooker Cowles, married John Mix in 1771. Items in this collection indicate Mix was Quartermaster General of the State of Connecticut in the early 19th century. John and Martha's daughter Ann G. married Dr. Henry Wadsworth, who was appointed surgeon in the 7th Regiment of Cavalry in the 7th Brigade of Militia in the State of Connecticut in 1805. His letters and those of his son are included in this collection. For additional information on the Cowles family see the Betsy Mix Cowles, Papers, the Myra G. Cowles, Papers, and the Cowles Family, Papers.
Scope and Content
This collection includes papers of three generations of the Mix-Wadsworth Family and is primarily composed of correspondence dating from 1800-1842. Other items include a family genealogy, an autobiographical sketch of Lewis Cowles, and a few miscellaneous papers from the 20th century.
- Two manuscript copies of a Wadsworth family genealogy, [no date] (shelved in 11th floor map case)
- Correspondence of John Mix, January 1800-December 1827
- Miscellaneous legal papers, receipts, bills and notes bearing John Mix's name, 1796-1827, [no date]
- Miscellaneous papers with various Mix family member's names, including estate records for Ebeneezer Mix, 1787-1806, [no date]
- Miscellaneous papers [pertaining to John Mix?], 1775-1880, [no date]
- Correspondence to and by Dr. Henry Wadsworth, May, 1803, February, 1805 and his appointment as regimental surgeon, August, 1805
- Correspondence of Ann G. Wadsworth, January 1814-December, 1817
- Correspondence of Dr. Theodore Henry Wadsworth, November 1830-December, 1832
- Correspondence of Dr. Theodore Henry Wadsworth, March, 1833-March, 1835; [no date]
- Correspondence of Dr. Theodore Henry Wadsworth, April, 1835-October, 1836
- Correspondence of Dr. Theodore Henry Wadsworth, February, 1837-December, 1838
- Correspondence of Dr. Theodore Henry Wadsworth, June, 1839-August, 1842; [no date]
- Manuscript medical book in the hand of Dr. Theodore Henry Wadsworth, "Hubbard's Lectures on Surgery, Vol. 2 begun December 23, 1831"
- Manuscript medical book in the hand of Dr. Theodore Henry Wadsworth, "Lectures on Theory and practice of Medicine by William Tully Castleton 1833"
- Miscellaneous items: List of books in the Cowles family library, [1935?]; autobiographical sketch of Lewis Cowles [original in Cowles Family, Papers]; typescript copy of a letter from Julia Johnson to Howard Cowles, September, 1930
- Gravestone rubbing from Dr. Theodore Henry Wadsworth's grave, Austinburg, Ohio, [no date]