Kenneth J. Hammond papers
May 4 Collection - Box 23
Prepared by Nancy Birk, Penny White, 1994; 2012; Updated January 2017
Inclusive Dates: 1968-1974
Extent: .16 cubic foot (1 slim document case)
Physical Location: 12th floor
Kenneth J. (Ken) Hammond was a student and SDS leader at Kent State University in the late 1960s. In the spring of 1970, Hammond was a junior. He spoke at the rally at the Victory Bell on the afternoon of May 4, 1970, and was a witness to the shootings and other events of that day. Hammond was subsequently named one of the "Kent 25," the group of Kent State students and one faculty member indicted for their involvement with May 4 activities. Following May 4, 1970, Hammond remained active in May 4-related organizations and committees, such as the Kent Liberation Front, the Mayday Coalition, and the Kent Legal Defense Fund.
Scope and Content
The materials in this collection are photocopies of original items held by Hammond including publications, leaflets, and other materials created by organizations with which Hammond was involved. He has included notes detailing the contents and background context of most files.
This collection was accessioned in October, 1975.
This collection was formerly processed with the papers of two others (William A. Gordon and Thomas Lough) and was designated as Box 21 of the May 4 Collection. The three collections were re-processed individually in January 2017.
Additional records by and about SDS, Kent chapter and national level, can be found in the Students for a Democratic Society (SDS) records (Box 107 of the May 4 Collection).
Sponsor: Digitization of this collection was funded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission.
May 4 Collection - Box 23
Folder -- Contents
- Kent Legal Defense Fund: Publications, 1971; undated
- Kent Liberation Front: Publications and Leaflets, 1970-1971
- Mayday Coalition: Publications and Leaflets, 1971
- “Nixon is the One For…”: Flyer, October 10, 1968
Physical Description: Includes a political cartoon. Annotation on flyer by Hammond indicates "Akron" and date.
- Students for a Democratic Society: Kent, 1968; January 1969
Scope and Content: Includes leaflets, meeting agendas, event schedules, and working sketch for Kent SDS publication “Who Rules Kent?”
Physical Location: One item from this file is oversized and filed in the map case.
- Students for a Democratic Society: National: Publications, 1969
- Accounts of Events of May 1970 by Hammond, 1970; 1974
- Political Analysis of May 1-4 1970 at Kent State by Hammond, 1970
- Position Paper—Mayday Coalition by Hammond, March 24, 1971
- Kenneth J. Hammond et al. v. Paul W. Brown, et al. (No. 71-1278): Reply Brief of Appellants, 1971