James Huebner papers
May 4 Collection -- Box 65
Prepared by Scott L. Bills, November 17, 1980; Updated January 2017
Inclusive Dates: 1977
Extent: 1 slim document case, .16 cubic feet,
Physical Location: 12th floor
Historical Note: James Huebner began work as a student on the main campus of Kent State in 1975. Two years later, he became an active participant in the May 4th Coalition. As a member, he sought to prevent construction of a new gymnasium annex in the center of campus. In addition to being a resident of Tent City, he served as chairperson of many of the mass meetings of Coalition members which took place during the last few weeks before the arrests of July 12, 1977.
Acquisitions Information: James Huebner donated his materials to the Kent State University Archives on July 28, 1980.
Restrictions on Access: Some information included in this collection is restricted due to the presence of information protected by privacy laws. This information has been redacted where present on documents in the collection. Un-redacted originals, in all cases, have been retained by Special Collections and Archives.
Restrictions on Use: Huebner has kindly donated to the Kent State University Archives whatever property and literary rights that he possesses in these materials.
May 4 Collection - Box 65
Folder -- Contents
- Correspondence, General: January 15, 1977-December 1, 1977 Bumper Sticker, "Remember Kent State Move the Gym"
- Leaflets/Flyers, Blanket Hill Council: 1977; Leaflets/Flyers, Kent State University, source unidentified
- Leaflets/Flyers, May 4th Coalition: 1977
- Leaflets/Flyers, May 4th Task Force: 1977
- Leaflets/Flyers, Portage County Committee for Free Speech and Free Assembly: 1977
- Leaflets/Flyers, Revolutionary Student Brigade: 1977; Leaflets/Flyers, Spartacus Youth League: 1977
- Leaflets/Flyers, Student Government: 1977
- Leaflets/Flyers, source unidentified: undated; Leaflets/Flyers, Young Socialists Alliance; Playbills, Kent State: A Requiem
- Press Release, Newsletter, Kent State F.A.C.T.: 1977
- Press Release, Kent State University News Service: July 8, 1977
- Press Release, May 4th Coalition: May 31, 1977-August 17, 1977
- Newspaper, The Tree City Sprout: May 13, 1977
- Press Clippings, miscellaneous: July-August, 1977
- Committee Reports, May 4th Coalition: July 19, 1977
- Prepared Statement, Faculty Coordinating Committee: July 20, 1977. Note: This folder includes a list of faculty committed to a "moral presence" to avoid confrontation at the gym annex site.
- Miscellaneous, handwritten note by Jerry Carr: undated
- Poster, May 4th Coalition: 1977