SEARCH UNIVERSITY LIBRARIES WEBSITE
Prepared by Stephanie Wachalec, December 30, 2003; Updated July 2018; Last Updated: July 2020
Inclusive Dates: 1855-1927
Bulk Dates: 1860-1880
Extent: .16 cubic foot (1 slim document case)
Physical Location: 11th floor
Historical Note: The Grand River Institute, originally named the Ashtabula County Institute of Science and Industry, was founded in 1831 by a group of prominent Austinburg Congregational Church leaders. The school was originally intended to prepare young men for ministerial vocations, but in 1840 it began to admit female students as well. Betsy Mix Cowles was appointed as the school's first female principal in charge of the Women's Department, a post she held from 1843-1848. The institution's name and location changed in 1836 at the behest of Joab Austin, a wealthy citizen who pledged a sizeable endowment for the school.
The above information was located in Balanced in the Wind: A Biography of Betsy Mix Cowles by Linda Geary (Associated University Press, 1989), pp. 46-47.
Scope and Content: This collection includes documents, including catalogs, commencement and organizational programs.
Related Materials: Related information can be found in the Betsy Mix Cowles papers.
Folder -- Contents