SEARCH UNIVERSITY LIBRARIES WEBSITE
Prepared by Merritt D. Betts, March 24, 1982; Revised by Andrea Koss, May 16, 1996; Updated February 2016; Last Updated: December 2020
Inclusive Dates: 1892-1975
Extent: .16 cubic foot (1 slim document case)
Physical Location: 11th floor
Biographical Note: Dick Dudley Donaghy (1900-1975) was a prominent Kent, Ohio businessman, banker, and civic leader. Dick and his brother Roy operated the W. H. Donaghy Drug Company after their father's death in 1915. When Roy died, Dick sold the drug store and focused his attention on a college supply store, Campus Supply Incorporated, also founded by the two brothers. He served as City Council president and on the boards, as director and as chairman, of the Huntington Portage (formerly Kent) National Bank, the Home Savings and Loan Association, and the Kent Free Library. As a boy, Dick Donaghy attended the Kent State Training School and was friends with Edward W. Parsons (Wolcott-Parsons, Papers).
In 1925, Dick Donaghy married Esther Lucy Getz (1904- ?). Esther's mother, Martha Furry Getz (1876-1934) was a descendent of the Woodard family, and through this line qualified for membership in the Daughters of the American Revolution and several similar societies. Martha Furry attended the Oberlin Conservatory of music, Oberlin, Ohio, and for many years was organist and choir director of the Kent Congregational Church. She was a founder of the Kent Parent-Teacher Association, and the County Detention Home. Her husband, John Getz (1863-1941) was a founder of Getz Brothers Hardware, the Home Savings and Loan Association of Kent, Ohio and was vice-president of the Kent National Bank.
Scope and Content: Items in this collection relate to Dick Donaghy, his wife, and her family. Also included in the collection are some materials relating to the Civil War service of Martha Furry Getz's father, George A. Furry. Genealogical charts of both Donaghy and Getz families compiled by Esther Getz Donaghy and Merritt Donaghy Betts are included in the collection.
Acquisition Information: This collection was donated to the Kent State University Archives by Merritt Donaghy Betts on July 30 and August 18, 1975.
Processing Information: Originally processed under the archives identification D.7.5.1.
Folder -- Contents