SEARCH UNIVERSITY LIBRARIES WEBSITE
May 4 Collection - Box 68
Prepared by Tom Adamich, April 20, 1991; Updated November 2016
Inclusive Dates: 1970-1976
Extent: 1 slim document case, .16 cubic foot
Physical Location: 12th floor
A Kent State University School of Architecture professor from 1958 to 1982, Clyde Patterson was instrumental in implementing a number of important projects and programs in the architecture field, including the establishment of the National Architectural Accrediting Board in the early 1960s. Kent State University's School of Architecture was one of the first schools in the U.S. to be accredited.
As a graduate of Western Reserve University (now Case Western Reserve University) with degrees in Architecture (B.A.) and Art and Art History (M.A.), Patterson exhibited his great commitment to architectural education. In 1961, Patterson, with the help of numerous colleagues, established the architectural honorary chapter, Tau Sigma Delta, at KSU. In addition, in 1973, Patterson, along with Professor Ron Roskins, founded the National Leaders Honor Society, an organization honoring the top 20% of architecture graduates across the United States. Patterson died in 2009.
Scope and Content
The main focus of the papers and its topical concentration is the events and administrative result of the May 4, 1970 Kent State shootings. Included are professional and personal correspondence; University Faculty Senate minutes, resolutions, and supporting documents; and assorted printed matter and reports.
Materials contained in this collection were accessioned on February 4, 1991 and given accession number U 91/15. Materials had been housed in the Kent State University School of Architecture and were brought to Kent State University Special Collections and Archives by Clyde Patterson.
Sponsor: Digitization of this collection was funded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission.
Folder -- Contents