SEARCH UNIVERSITY LIBRARIES WEBSITE
Prepared by William Doezema, October 1, 1975; Prepared for the Web by Justin B. Keiser, July 2000; Revised May 2003; December 2018; Last Updated: July 2020
Inclusive Dates: 1921-1969
Extent: .16 cubic foot (1 slim document case)
Physical Location: 11th floor
Historical Note: The Ashtabula Veterans World War Fund Committee can trace its roots to March, 1918, when the privately organized Ashtabula War Council was founded. The funds collected by the Council were transferred to an account called the War Chest Memorial Fund in January, 1921. The commercial Savings and Trust Company of Ashtabula administered the money from the Fund until April, 1941. The present organization came into existence for the purpose of administering the Fund. Throughout the years, the central goal of these various groups has been to help defray certain medical costs for eligible veterans.
Scope and Content: The material consists of committee minutes, incoming and outgoing correspondence, a "Trust Agreement", internal memoranda, newspaper clippings, financial and legal records. Most items in this collection are dated after 1940. Researchers should note also that additional material on the early litigation involving the organization can be found at the Ashtabula County Court House in Jefferson, Ohio.
Processing Information: Originally processed under the archives identification B.1.3.
Acquisition Information: On September 25, 1975, Special Collections and Archives received this collection through the efforts of Mrs. Bernice (Harold) Louis, the Executive Director of the American Red Cross, Ashtabula County Chapter, and E. Terry Warren, an Ashtabula attorney who serves as the Chairman of the Ashtabula Veterans World War Fund Committee.
Folder -- Contents