25th Anniversary Coordinating Committee records
May 4 Collection - Box 126
Prepared by Cara Gilgenbach, July 10, 1998; Updated February 2017
Inclusive Dates: 1994-1996
Extent: 1 record storage box, 1 cubic foot
Physical Location: 12th floor
The May 4 25th Anniversary Coordinating Committee was formed in 1994 "to coordinate, on behalf of the University community, a series of commemorative programs during Spring Semester 1995, with particular emphasis on the week of April 30 to May 7, to mark the milestone 25th anniversary of the events of May 4, 1970, in a manner that is healing, respectful, and inclusive and consistent with the University mission."* The committee was composed of 20 members, and was co-chaired by Jerry M. Lewis (Emeritus, sociology) and Daniel McCombs, the director of Alumni Relations at the time. Committee members included faculty, students, administrators, community members, and persons who were directly involved in the events of May 4, 1970 (including some of the wounded students). Also formed at this time was the May 4 25th Anniversary Symposium Committee composed of eight faculty members. This group worked closely with the Coordinating Committee, but was specifically charged with planning and organizing an international scholarly symposium on May 4. Lawrence Kaplan (Emeritus, history) served as chair of the Symposium Committee.
In addition to its overarching role of planning and overseeing the 25th anniversary commemoration, the Coordinating Committee facilitated the support of numerous projects and events related to May 4 by overseeing the disbursement of funding (usually for $500 or less) to groups and individuals. Interested parties had to submit an application for funding describing the proposed activity and reasons for requesting funding. A wide variety of programs and events, including several in the arts, were aided by funding from the Coordinating Committee.
A fuller description of the Coordinating Committee's goals, activities, and responsibilities can be found in the collection, particularly in the folders containing the committee's charge and mission statements.
*Excerpted from the "May 4 25th Anniversary Coordinating Committee Mission Statement" found in folder #2.
Scope and Content
This collection contains the papers of the May 4 25th Anniversary Coordinating Committee, as well as some from the Symposium Committee. Included are typical committee-related documents such as meeting minutes, membership rosters, and correspondence. The collection also includes clippings, press releases, funding applications, and events schedules and programs. The materials date from spring of 1994 through 1995.
May 4 Collection Box 126
Folder -- Contents
- Catalog Text on May 4 (drafts), 1994
- Charge and Mission, 1994
- Cleveland Foundation Proposal, 1994
- Clippings about Committee and Events, 1995
- Correspondence, 1994
- Correspondence, 1995
- Fact Sheet, undated
- Flyers for 25th Anniversary Events, May 1995
- Funding Applications (blank forms), 1994
- Funding Applications, 1994
- Funding Committee, 1994
- Funding Press Releases and Flyers, 1994
- Funded Projects, Charts, 1994-1995
- Funded Projects, Correspondence, 1995
- Interactive Multimedia CD-ROM Presentation, Program, May 1, 1995
- Interactive Videodisc Project, 1994
- Kent Alumni Association Mailing, 1995
- May 4th Symposium, Legacies of Protest, Schedule of Events Flyer, 1995
- May 4th Symposium Committee, Meeting Minutes, 1994
- Meeting Memos, Agendas, and Minutes of Coordinating Committee, April 1994-April 1995
- Nametags, Selected Committee Members 1995
- Northern Ohio Live's Awards of Achievement, September-October, 1995
- Position Paper, "Preserving the May 4th Site," 25th Anniversary Ad Hoc Committee on the May 4th Site Preservation, June 1995
- Press Release on formation of Coordinating Committee, April 15, 1994
- Program of Events, March-May, 1995
- Program, Press Release, Flyer: Dancy Alloy. May 4th Dance/Theatre Project, performed at E. Turner Stump Theatre, Kent State University, April 29, 1995
- Program: The Serpent. Kent State University Theatre, 1995?
- Proposed Arts Projects, 1994
- Resolution of Appreciation to Jerry M. Lewis and Daniel L. McCombs, June 13, 1996
- Rosters, Committee Members, 1994
- Ticket Stubs for Peter, Paul and Mary Benefit Concert, May 4, 1995
- 25th Anniversary Post Cards (created by students in Visual Communication Design as part of publication 105), 1995