Robert Podgurski papers
Prepared by Fred Previts, November 25, 1998
1 record storage box, 1 cubic foot, 11th floor
Scope and ContentThis collection was donated by Robert Podgurski to the Department of Special Collections and Archives in 1997. The collection includes notebooks containing poetry and other writing; drafts and proofs of works; published works of poetry; correspondence from the poet Gerrit Lansing; and microfilm copies of John Dee's manuscripts from the Bodleian and Ashmolean Libraries in England.
Biographical NoteRobert Podgurski was born on June 6, 1961 in southwestern Pennsylvania and attended the University of Pittsburgh. While there he studied creative writing under Richard Blevins (whose papers are also housed at Kent State University's Department of Special Collections and Archives). After graduating from the University of Pittsburgh in 1983 Podgurski then attended the University of Colorado where he helped to develop the university's John Dee archives on microfilm. After receiving an MA in English Literature from the University of Colorado in 1990 Podgurski began working on a PhD. in English at Case Western Reserve University in Cleveland, Ohio and then transferred to the University of Cincinnati. In 1997 Podgurski and his wife Barbara moved to North Carolina where he lives and writes.
Podgurski has had two books of his poetry published and his poems have appeared in a number of publications. Podgurski's poetry reflects his interest in magic and alchemy and is influenced by the works of Robert Duncan, Jack Spicer, and Gerrit Lansing.
- Series I : Correspondence (folders 1-5)
- Series II : Notebooks containing poetry and other writing (folders 6-9)
- Series III : Drafts and proofs of works (folders 10-13)
- Series IV : Published works (folders 14-15)
- Series V : Microfilm copies of John Dee's manuscripts.
- Correspondence from Gerrit Lansing, 1985-1989
- Correspondence from Gerrit Lansing, 1990-1991
- Correspondence from Gerrit Lansing, 1992-1993
- Correspondence from Gerrit Lansing, 1994-1995
- Miscellaneous Correspondence
- Notebook, 1984-1988
- Notebook, 1986-(1988?)
- Notebook, 1988-1989
- Notebook, 1989-1991
- Draft of There is a Safe Tower, 1985
- Proof of There is a Safe Tower, 1985
- Draft of The Poetic Spell of Dr. John Dee and Sir Edward Kelly's Angelic Art, 1990
- Miscellaneous Drafts
- Published works -- Stepping In Between, 1984; There is a Safe Tower, 1985
- Published works -- Italian Quarterly, Winter/Spring 1998