SEARCH UNIVERSITY LIBRARIES
Prepared by Lucinda Kay Arnold, January 8, 1979; Prepared for the Web by Joanna Hart, September 4, 1996
2 record storage boxes, 2 cubic feet, Storage
This collection is housed in a climate-controlled environment off site and requires at least up to three weeks for retrieval. Please call or email the department with requests for this material prior to planning your visit.
Scope and Content
On June 2, 1978, with the efforts and assistance of the Ohio Historical Society and Mr. Kenneth J. Thrasher, President of the East Liverpool Trades and Labor Council, this collection of papers arrived in the Kent State University Archives.
The materials in this collection date from as early as 1908 to as recently as 1971 and are quite diverse in nature. Types of materials included are: constitution and by-laws, correspondence, minutes, miscellaneous agreements, resolutions, reports, speeches, membership lists, statements, and applications from local unions. Most of the materials were arranged chronologically within type. However, in some instances, the bulk of the material warranted a further subdivision. Much of the correspondence was arranged chronologically according to originating agency; and most of the newsletters were ordered by title. In addition, any special committees or projects about which there was a substantial amount of material also warranted the creation of their own folders.
As a coordinating body for various local unions throughout eastern Ohio, the East Liverpool Trades and Labor Council has played a considerable role in the labor movement in this state. This collection of papers reflects that role in the labor movement in this state. Further, it offers some interesting insights into the structure, function, and activities of local unions. However, the value of these materials goes beyond merely aiding the researcher in local history. This collection also is a very valuable source for information on this history of the national labor movement. If examined carefully, the papers may offer the researcher an idea of significant changes and trends in philosophy and theory that have occurred in U.S. labor history. For additional information on unions, one might check under the subject headings labor history and labor unions.
Founded on February 28, 1894 in East Liverpool, Ohio, the Trades and Labor Council's purpose, as stated in its charter, was "to freely discuss carefully and examine all questions that will benefit all men and women who toil." Generally, the Council was to advance the interest of working peoples, to promote unionism, and to increase the public understanding of the labor movement. Specifically, it was to give moral and financial support when needed, to arbitrate in disputes, and to secure fair and just wages. Serving as an umbrella organization for many local unions, the Council's jurisdiction was for all of lower Columbiana County, south of the northern borders of Franklin, Wayne, Madison, and St. Clair Township.