All patrons are blocked from borrowing material when they owe over $25.00 on their patron record.
All patrons are blocked when they receive a Third Statement of Charges (3rd SOC) until full payment is made. This block applies to any amount owed.
Bills and Replacement Costs
Materials more than 30 days overdue are assumed lost and billed for replacement. (Some materials have a bill generated sooner such as Reserves, Periodicals, Stark media).
- Most KentLINK items (monographs and serials) indicate a default $65.00 item replacement charge.
- Fashion Library items indicate a $90.00 item replacement charge.
- Kent Campus DVDs and videos indicate the actual item price or a default $115.00 item replacement charge.
- OhioLINK items indicate a total cost of $125, including a $75.00 item replacement charge and a $50.00 billing fee.
- Interlibrary Loan items (received from other libraries) indicate a $130.00 replacement charge.
Damaged items policy: Patrons will not be charged for normal wear and tear of library items. Patrons will be charged for extensive damage to library items. Amount of damage is to be determined by the library.
A $15.00 processing fee is added to all replacement costs for Kent State materials.
Fees associated with materials billed for replacement include:
- Replacement cost of item
- Billing fee
- Processing fee
If a patron owes for a lost KentLINK or OhioLINK item(s), then the patron has the following options for restitution:
- The patron may pay the total replacement and billing fees. If the item is found within one (1) year, the item may be returned for a refund of the replacement fee only.
- With prior permission from the University Libraries Circulaton Services Department, the patron may provide a replacement copy (in new or excellent condition) in lieu of paying the replacement fee. In case of OhioLINK materials, Circulation Services will contact the lending OhioLINK library to request approval to accept a replacement copy. A processing fee may be charged at the discretion of the owning library. If the original item is found after a replacement copy has been provided, no refunds will be issued.
In either case, billing fees and processing fees, if charged, must be paid and will not be refunded. Once the manner of restitution is determined and the transaction is completed, then the transaction is closed. No further change or negotiation is permitted.