Important Notice: Due to a grant-sponsored project to digitize materials from the May 4 Collection, in-person use of the May 4 Collection is available by appointment only. Please help us serve you better by contacting us in advance to schedule an appointment for access to this collection.
Kim Sorvig papers, 1985-90
MAY 4 COLLECTION -- Box 86
Prepared by Nancy Birk, 24 May 1994. Updated by Penny White, June 2013.
.33 cubic feet (1 document case and 1 oversize folder)
Physical Location: 12th floor
Scope and Content
Kim Sorvig, a consulting environmental designer, now living in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, submitted a design proposal in the National Design competition to create a May 4 memorial. Sorvig's design was not a finalist, but the creation of the design affected him so deeply that he wrote To Heal Kent State: A Memorial Meditation about his experience. To Heal Kent State is available in both Special Collections and in the general collection under the call number LD 4191.O72 S67x 1990.
The collection includes a heavily edited typescript of To Heal Kent State as well as Sorvig's research notes. His drawings for the memorial itself can be located in the oversize map folders under the collection number. The collection carefully documents every step in the design process and would be of value to any researcher who is interested in the psychological and sociological implications of creating a public memorial that has had such wide emotional reaction.
Sorvig donated this material to the Department of Special Collection & Archives on April 19, 1991. There are no restrictions on any of the material except for normal copyright restrictions.
Folder -- Contents
- To Heal Kent State: Journal entries
- To Heal Kent State: Notes, concerning cover and type, cover art
- To Heal Kent State: Notes, general
- To Heal Kent State: Notes (index cards)
- To Heal Kent State: Typescript, "last major revision"
- Memorial design: Index to drawings
- Memorial design: Layout
- Memorial design: Maps
- Memorial design: Notes
- Memorial design: Subject files: "Filo"
- Memorial design: Subject files: "Left"
- Memorial design: Subject files: "Right"
- Oversize -- Drawings, preliminary to final (see index, folder 7) (shelved in 11th floor map case)