Annual May 4 Commemoration records, 1971-2010
May 4 Collection -- Boxes 117 and 117A
Prepared by Nancy Birk, October 20, 1995; Updated April 2015
1 record storage box + 1 oversize box, 1.5 cubic feet, 12th floor
Scope and Content
This collection contains materials gathered by the University Archives that document the annual commemorations, including performances and events. Some material originates from the May 4th Task Force. Posters and other promotional material from the annual commemorations are also included. Material in Box 117 and Box 117A are arranged chronologically.
May 4 Collection -- Box 117
Folder -- Contents
- Schedule of events and exhibits for first annual memorial observance, May 1-4, 1971
- Position and policies paper regarding first annual memorial observance, 1971
- Rough draft of speech by Julian Bond for first annual memorial observance, April 1971
- Ecumenical Memorial Service, outline and summary of service
- The Educational Consequences of the Tragedy, commemoration speech by Bruce Harkness, [former Dean of College of Arts and Sciences, final draft copy]
- May 4 Scheduling Committee, Minutes, 1980
- Correspondence and programs, 1981
- May 4th Memorial fact sheet, January 1989
- News Release Statements, April 1991
- News Release Statements, November 1994
- Dance Alloy, May 4th Dance/Theatre Project, programs and announcements, April 29, 1995
- The Serpent, programs for dramatic ceremony by Jean-Claude van Itallie, April 1995
- Simple Gestures: A Commemorative Installation, promotional material, April 5-May 10, 1995
- Kent State University: May, 1970, invitation to showing of interactive multimedia CD-ROM, May 1, 1995
- The Legacy of May 4, 1970, announcement of television documentary showing, May 1, 1995
- Legacies of Protest, May 4 Symposium, May 2-3, 1995
- Kent State: A Requiem, announcements for performances, May 3, 1995
- Finding a Common Ground: The Blanketing of Blanket Hill, audience instructions for participation, May 4, 1995
- Peter, Paul and Mary, concert ticket stub, May 4, 1995
- Proposal for CASE submission, Milestone 25th Anniversary of the Events of May 4, 1970
- News Release Statements, April-May 1995
- A Different Reunion, speech by Lee Kamps, May 1995
- Kent State University Alumni Association, information card and staff memo about 25th Anniversary Commemoration, May 1995
- Nightwalking: Voices from Kent State by Sandra Perlman, program and company member list, May 1995
- Tragedy at Kent State, programs and clippings, May 1995
- Preserving the May 4th Site: A Position Paper by Carole Barbato, June 1995
- Sample Layout, May 4 Message and Information Board, [no date]
- 25th Anniversary Commemoration programs and schedule of events
- 26th Annual Commemoration, schedules of activities and events, May 3-4, 1996
- Shakespeare After Words, commemoration performance announcement, April 24, 1996
- Crosby, Stills and Nash, performance agreement for May 4, 1997
- May 4th Task Force announcement concerning request for permanent closure of four parking spaces in Prentice Hall parking lot, May 3, 1998
- Unification of the Generations, commemoration program announcement, April 1998
- May 4 Commemoration events announcement, April 1999
- Confrontation at Kent State, May 4th Task Force Annual Fall Forum announcement, November 18, 1999
- Student markers dedication, Prentice Hall parking lot, September 8, 1999
- Print and Broadcast Journalism alumni reunion, [memory book, clippings, notebooks], May 3-5, 2000
- Hillel tag, "Flowers are better than bullets"
- Song in Sorrow, Blossom Music Festival performance schedules
- Press packet for 30th Commemoration, [2 packets]
- Kent State: The Day the War came Home, promotional packet for documentary aired on The Learning Channel, May 5, 2000
- May 4 Oral History Project, announcement of designated site for project contributions
- The Boundaries of Freedom of Expression and Order in a Democratic Society, first annual May 4 Symposium, registration posting and schedule, May 1-2, 2000
- Remarks by Tom Grace at the Annual Commemoration, [Grace was wounded on May 4, 1970]
- Media, Profit and Politics: Competing Priorities in an Open Society, Information packets for Symposium on Democracy, April 11-12, 2001
- 31st Annual May 4th Commemoration, announcements for The Cost of Freedom candlelight vigil and commemoration, May 2-4, 2001
- Programs for Kent Wind Ensemble and Kent State University Chorale with Greg Banaszak, individual performances and excerpts from Opera Flies, March 22, 2001
- East 79th Street, announcements for play sponsored by the May 4 Task Force, May 2, 2001
- News story about Annual Commemoration, May 5, 2002
- Memo from KSU president Carol Cartwright concerning May 4 observance safety, April 30, 2002
- Letter from Staughton Lynd concerning "From Port Huron to Kent State" conference, May 2, 2002
- Docent schedule from May 4 Resource Room, April 20-May 3, 2002
- Democracy and Religion, third annual Symposium on Democracy registration posting and schedule, April 20-30, 2002
- May 4th Task Force meetings announcement and guide to May 4 sites, [2002?]
- PEACE 1970-2003: Remembering Kent State & Jackson State, Annual Commemoration schedule of events, May 3-4, 2003
- Democracy and Globalization, fourth annual Symposium on Democracy registration posting and schedule, April 28-29, 2003
- Democracy and Homeland Security, fifth annual Symposium on Democracy, registration and news clippings, April 2004
- Sixth annual Symposium on Democracy, call for scholarly paper proposals
- Democracy and the Arts: Voices and Choices, sixth annual Symposium on Democracy, schedule of events, clippings, May 2005
- 35th Annual Commemoration: "Tell Me Father, Did They Aim?", May 4th Task Force, Schedule of events, flyers, May 1-4, 2005
- Irreconcilable Differences? Democratic Policy Deliberations in Science, Religion and Politics, seventh annual Symposium on Democracy, schedule of events, clippings, May 2006
- 36th Annual May 4 Commemoration schedule of events, 2006
- 37th Annual May 4th Commemoration schedule of events, 2007
- 38th Annual May 4th Commemoration schedule of events, 2008
- 10th Annual Symposium on Democarcy, Program Announcement, 2009
- Speech by Mark Rudd, 2010
- Blanket Hill program, 2010
- Events schedule and articles, 2010
May 4 Collection -- Box 117A--Commemoration Posters
Folder -- Contents
- 1977: Speakers include Dick Gregory, William Kunstler, Ron Kovic, Tim Butz, Dave Engdahl, Chic Canfora, Dean Kahler and Alan Canfora.
- 1978: Speakers include Daniel Ellsberg, William Kunstler, Vernon Bellecourt, Abdul Alkalimat, Constance Slaughter, Clark Kissinger, Alan Canfora, Greg Rambo, Bill Arthrell, Jeter Pittman and Barbara Dane.
- 1979: Speakers include William Kunstler, Constance Slaughter, Robby Stamps, Sanford Rosen, Tom Grace and John Bassette.
- 1980: Speakers include Dave Dellinger, Daniel Ellsberg, Norma Becker, William Kunstler and Kwame Toure (Stokley Carmichael).
- 1980: Ten Years Later; National Student Day.
- 1980: Speakers include Bella Abzug, Norma Becker, David Dellinger, Rev. John Adams, Stokley Carmichael, William Kunstler, Robert Picket and Dr. Greg Wald.
- 1981: Speakers include Rev. John Adams, Chic Canfora-Knepp, Dr. J. Gregory Payne, and Joseph Rhodes Jr.
- 1982: Speakers include Janice Fine, Paul Keane, Benson Wolman and Jerry M. Lewis.
- 1983: Speakers include Sanford Rosen, Dr. J. Gregory Payne, Dean Kahler, Robbie Stamps, Dudley Weeks and Milo Hunter.
- 1984: Speakers include Tom Grace, Jim Russell, Jane Fleiss, Dr. Tom Hensley, Rev. Bill Jacobs, Dave Boerner and Gerry Condon.
- 1985: Speakers include Howard Metzenbaum, Elaine Holstein, Dean Kahler, Joseph Lewis, Robert Stmps, Alan Canfora, Thomas Grace, Scott Mackenzie, James Russell, Douglas Wrentmore, Harry Ausprich and James Riggs.
- 1986: Speakers include Sanford Rosen, Dean Kahler, Joseph Lewis, Chic Canfora-Knepp and Sheldon Liss.
- 1987: Speakers include Julian Bond, Ian Taberner, Scott Norberg, Alan Canfora and Tom Grace.
- 1988: Speakers include Louis Stokes, William Kunstler, Sanford Rosen, Alan Canfora, Tom Grace, Chic Knepp, Dr. J. Gregory Payne and Dr. Sheldon Liss.
- 1989: Speakers include Christina Baldwin, Carl Oglesby, Mark Rudd, Gene Young, Tom Grace and Dave Cline.
- 1989: "Students in Action" 19th Annual Commemoration poster proof.
- 1990: Speakers include Students wounded on May 4, Pat Humphries, Gene Young, Laurel Krause, Dave Kline, Ken Hammond, Wu'er Kaixi, Betty Kirschner, Holly Near, Curtis Pittman, Sanfored Rosen, William Kunstler.
- 1991: Speakers include Ralph McGehee, Roseanne Canfora-Knepp, Tom Grace and Gene Young.
- 1994: Speakers include Samantha Carver, William Kunstler, J. Gregory Payne, Gene Young and Jeffrey Powell.
- 1995: Speakers include Howard Metzenbaum, Paul Rogat Loeb, Mark Rudd, Stephanie Campbell, Barbara Agte, Steve Drucker, Lou Cusella, Chic Canfora-Knepp, Sanford Rosen, Roland Colom and Kermit Dilworth.
- 1996: Speakers include Sherrod Brown, Bernadine Dohrn, Stanley Tolliver, Tom Grace, Perkins Pringle, Jen Gensch, Troy Gregorino and Arun Prabhakaran.
- 1997: Speakers include James Bresky, Ron Kuby, Michael Novick, Tom Papp, Al Long, Chic Canfora, Mac Lojowsky, Wendy Semon and Carol Meyers.
- 1998: Speakers include Gary Polvinale, Ron Kovic, Ruth Gibson, Steve Skovensky, Rochelle Gause, Troy Gregorino, Sarah Lund, Charlie Mosbrook, U Sam Oeur, Timothy Moore and Robbie Stamps.
- 1999: Speakers include Dr. Helen Caldicott, Ley Ly Hayslip, Dr. Molly Merryman, Dr. Barnes Harden, Leverne Larkins, Kim Larson, Paul Edgar, Kathy Bizek and Doug Mackar.
- 2000: Speakers include Gene Young, Gloria Green McKray, Demitrius Gibbs, Juliette Beck, Julia Butterfly Hill, Vernon Bellecourt, Ramona Africa and Noam Chomsky.
- 2001: Speakers include Alison Wiener, Ben Pershy, Jim Mueller, Laura Haring, Tom Grace and a Representative from the Sinn Fein Party of North Ireland.
- 2002: Speakers include Danielle Devore, Tom Callahan, Adria Crannell, Kelley Gorbett, Joseph Lewis, James Russell and Charlene Teters.
- 2003: Speakers include Phil Arway, Seth Kujat, Billie Campbell, Kerry Kennedy Cuomo, Rosanne (Chic) Canfora, Carol Cartwright, Dr. Roland Mason Jr. and Jello Biafra.
- 2004: Speakers include William Rivers Pitt, Holly Near, Dean Kahler, Gary Daniels, Mike Pacifico, Sam Harper, Dr. Carole Barbato, T. N. Bhargava, and Alan Canfora.
- 2005: Speakers include Russell Miler, Barry Levine, Nancy Tuttle, Mike Alewitz, Dr. William Schultz (Amnesty International), Gene Young, Ken Hammond, Marc Lenci, and Chad Salamon.
- 2006: Speakers include Medea Benjamin and Mary Ann Vecchio.
- 2008:Speakers include Scott Ritter, Ron Kovic, Emily Kunstler, Dean Kahler and Joe Lewis.
- Undated: "Rememberance."
- Undated: Speakers include Dr. Thomas Hensley, Joe Lewis, Dean Kahler, Gene Young, William Kunstler, Sanford Lewis, Jan Scruggs and Jack Smith.