Important Notice: Due to a grant-sponsored project to digitize materials from the May 4 Collection, in-person use of the May 4 Collection is available by appointment only. Please help us serve you better by contacting us in advance to schedule an appointment for access to this collection.
William C. Barrett papers
May 4 Collection - Box 40
Prepared by Scott L. Bills, July 31, 1980. Updated by Penny White, June 2013.
Inclusive Dates: 1970
Extent: 1 cubic foot (1 record storage box and 1 oversize folder)
Physical Location: 12th floor
Historical Note: William C. Barrett was editor of the alumni magazine, Kent, in 1970. As editor, he and Donald Shook, Director of Alumni Relations, were the recipients of many emotional letters from alumni through the summer months of 1970. Barrett coordinated the project which culminated in a special summer issue of Kent. This issue contained an extensive chronology of events from May 1-June 22, 1970.
Scope and Content: This collection includes correspondence received from Kent State University alumni following the shootings, subject files, information on the Scranton Commission, newsletters, clippings, and photographs.
Acquisitions Information: William Barrett donated his papers to the Kent State University Archives in two installments: September 25, 1975 and March 30, 1979.
Restrictions on Use: Barrett kindly donated to the Kent State University Archives whatever property and literary rights that he possesses in these materials.
May 4 Collection -- Box 40
Folder -- Contents
- Alumni list. NOTE: This list represents those alumni who corresponded with the University regarding the events of May 4, 1970
- Telegram: May 5, 1970
- Subject file, alumni correspondence: May 3-May 8, 1970
- Subject file, alumni correspondence: May 9-June 18, 1970
- Subject file, alumni correspondence: June 19-30, 1970
- Subject file, alumni correspondence: July 1-31, 1970
- Subject file, alumni correspondence: August 5-October 14, 1970
- Subject file, chronologies, May events: 1970
- Subject file, commentary, KSU News Service activities: May 1970. NOTE: This commentary was written by Jim Bruss, Director of the News Service
- Subject file, Kent magazine. NOTE: This folder contains materials prepared for use in the June 1970 issue of Kent. (Partial paste-up of the issue is shelved in 12th floor map case)
- Subject file, Ohio General Assembly, "Interim Report of the Select Committee to Investigate Campus Disturbances": October 5, 1970
- Subject file, press releases, KSU News Service: May 19-June 18, 1970. NOTE: Includes partial list of the "Kent 25" and the transcript of an interview of Robert White by Jerry Hayes
- Subject file, Portage Court of Common Pleas. NOTE: Includes photocopy of Petition for Injunction filed May 4, 1970; photocopy of Injunction, May 4, 1970; and photocopy of Special Grand Jury Report, filed October 15, 1970
- Subject file, Scranton Commission (President's Commission on Campus Unrest), Special Report, "The Kent State Tragedy": October, 1970
- Subject file, speeches, William Barrett, District V meeting of the American Alumni Council: December 1970
- Subject file, speeches, commencement program: June 13, 1970. NOTE: Also includes a transcript of Dr. White's oral report to the Board of Trustees on October 29, 1970
- Subject file, speeches, John A. Flower: June 1970
- Subject file, speeches, Ronald W. Roskens: May 13, 1970. This speech was delivered to a joint meeting of the Ohio Society and Kent State University alumni, Washington D.C.
- Newsletter, Bill Stanton Reports from Washington: June 1970
- Newsletter, Kent State University, Academic Information: May 28, 1970
- Newsletters, Kent State University, For Your Information: May 3-June 14, 1970
- Newsletters, Kent State University, Official Bulletin: May 11-June 3, 1970; June 19-23, 1970
- Newsletters, miscellaneous: 1970
- Press clippings: May 3-11, 1970
- Press clippings: May 14-June 22, 1970; Nov. 2, 1970. NOTE: Includes "Reporting the Kent State Incident," a booklet by the American Newspaper Publishers Association Foundation
- Magazine articles, miscellaneous: 1970
- Miscellaneous notes: 1970
- Photo assignment: June 27, 1970
- Photographs: May 1970
- Photographs: May 1970
- Photographs and contact sheets: June 13, 1970 commencement.NOTE: Includes photographs from the spring of 1970 and a contact sheet containing pictures of the "Victory Bell" on the KSU commons and the sculpture beside Taylor Hall