Dorothy Parsons, Papers, 1875-1981
Prepared by Merritt D. Betts, March 24, 1982
Revised by Stephanie Wachalec, November 6, 2003
1 slim document case, .16 cubic feet, 11th floor
Old archives number: D.7.12.1.
Biographical NoteDorothy Parsons (1892-1980) was the daughter of Edward Sawyer Parsons and Jennie Wolcott. She received her B.A. degree from Lake Erie College and her M.A. from Western Reserve University. For many years she taught Latin, Romance languages, and English at Kent Central (now Kent Roosevelt High School). She served as Trustee (1966-1968) and Secretary of the Kelso House Association (1969-1972).
Scope and ContentThe photographs and cards in this collection were donated to Special Collections and Archives by Dorothy Parsons. A series of accounts written by Parsons about her family history were printed posthoumously in the Kelso Courier are included in this collection. Related collections are: the Roger Lodge Wolcott and Edward Wolcott Parsons, Papers (brother of Dorothy) and the T.G. Parsons Lumber Company Records, her grandfather's and father's business.
Box 1Folder -- Contents
- New Year's card, 1875 and bridge tally card, [no date]
- Photograph of graduating class [includes Edward S. Parsons], Central High School, Kent , Ohio [1882?]
- Photograph of Miss Anna Nutting, Principal of Central High School, Kent, Ohio [1880s?]
- Photograph of Jennie B. Wolcott [wife of Edward S. Parsons, mother of Dorothy Parsons], 1886
- Photograph of fourth grade, Depeyster School, Kent, Ohio [includes Dorothy's younger sister Helen], 1905
- Photograph of Martha (Furry) Getz with her daughter Esther Lucy Getz (the future Mrs. Dick Donaghy, see Dick Dudley Donaghy, Papers), 1904
- Photograph of the northwest corner of Main and Water, Kent, Ohio, [no date]
- Letter from Dorothy Parsons to Merritt Betts, November 3, 1980
- Kelso Courier, November, 1980- September, 1981 [as mentioned in the paragraph above]