Student Multimedia Studio - Student Employment Positions
Student Multimedia Studio Consultants are responsible for providing support for students in the use of multimedia technologies at the Student Multimedia Studio. They work under the supervision of the SMS Manager and Assistant Manager.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide direct one-on-one assistance to students on the use of multimedia software and equipment in the SMS.
- Accept general responsibility for the SMS facility and ensure that it is ready for the campus community to use. "Ready" means that work areas should be physically clean, and the workstations themselves should be operational. (Problems should be reported immediately to the SMS Manager/Assistant Manager.)
- Protect equipment from unauthorized tampering, damage, or loss. In cases where the equipment is jeopardized in any way, the SMS Manager/Assistant Manager and/or library or campus security should be notified immediately.
- Be available and ready to help students in the use of SMS software and hardware at all times.
- Learn fundamental operations of SMS hardware and software, then actively continue to develop this knowledge.
- Follow procedures and policies concerning the usage of SMS equipment and equipment loans.
- Assist the SMS Manager in identifying and solving hardware and software problems encountered by student patrons in the SMS by providing the SMS Manager/Assistant Manager with a detailed report of the problems.
- Participate in the designing, scheduling, and conducting of workshops.
- Participate in the preparation and distribution of information (e.g. documentation, handouts, newsletter) regarding SMS issues, hardware/software tutorials and services.
- Participate in SMS training including student worker orientation at the beginning of the fall semester.
- Arrive on time for all shifts, and remain at work during scheduled shift. If unavailable for work, arrangements for a substitute should be made ahead of time, and the SMS Manager should be notified in person. A Multimedia Lab Consultant who misses his/her shift three times may be subject to termination. Arriving over 20 minutes late (unexcused) to a shift counts as missing a shift.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the SMS Manager/Assistant Manager.
Qualifications and Special Skills
Possess basic familiarity and strong desire to further knowledge in:
- Operation of multimedia hardware, such as photo/slide scanners, digital video and still cameras, video tape recorders, and audio tape recorders.
Operation of multimedia application software on Windows platforms including, but not limited to:
- Windows Movie Maker, Adobe Premiere Pro CS3, Encore CS3, Photoshop CS3, Image Ready CS3, Acrobat Pro 8, Macromedia Dreamweaver CS3, MS Frontpage 2003, MS Powerpoint 2003/2007, MS Publisher 2003/2007, Audacity 1.3, Acid Music 5 and 3D Studio Max, Roxio Easy Media Creator 9.... and more.
- The use of the internet including web browsers and ftp software.
- Maintain a professional attitude and service orientation at all times.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work well with other Multimedia Consultants and student patrons.
- Desire and ability to learn new technologies and skills, then re-learn as necessary.
- Ability to assume responsibility and work well without supervision.
- Ability to carry out assigned duties and projects to their completion or resolution.
Self-motivation to follow the letter and spirit of this job description.