International Brotherhood of Pottery and Allied Workers, Local Union 166, Records, 1937-1975
Prepared by James K. Stimpert August 1, 1980; Prepared for the Web by Kristen Scalf July 7, 2000
2 boxes, 2 cubic feet, Storage
This material is housed in an off-site storage facility and requires up to 5 business days for retrieval. Please call or email
the department with requests for this material prior to your visit.
Oversized materials remain in Special Collections.
Through the efforts of Patricia Burnett, Ohio Labor History Project, and William Graham President of Local 166, International Brotherhood of Pottery and Allied Workers (IBPAW), know formerly as the International Brotherhood of Operative Potters (IBOP), these records arrived on July 10, 1980, at the Department of Special Collections and Archives, Kent State University.
Local 166 was charterd May 3, 1937 at Sebring, Ohio and its members work at the plant originally known as the Gem Clay Forming Corporation. It is presently known as the Gem Refractories Plant of the Ferro Corporation. Devices such as brooder radiants for poultry, liners for fireplaces, and other energy saving items are produced by the employees of this company. As part of the IBPAW, Local 166 belongs to the American Federation of Labor/Congress of Industrial Organizatins (AFL/CIO), but prior to the merger in 1955 of the AFL and the CIO, they belonged to the AFL only.
Scope and Content
Since these materials arrived after the processing of the main collection of IBPAW records had been completed, they have been arranged and described seperately. The records of Local 166 consist of working agreements, correspondence, minutes covering the period from the Local's charter in 1937 though 1974, financial reports, wage agreements, applications for transfer and withdrawal, and materials from union elections held in 1961, 1963-1965, and 1967-1974. The records have been arranged chonologically within the topical categories assigned to them.
This collection would be of value to the researcher interested in Local 166 itself, or, studied in conjunction with the records of Locals 44 and 59, also of Sebring and located in the main IBPAW collection (B.3.3.1.), would provide a wealth of material dealing with the pottery industry in Sebring and the local area.
Property and literary rights to this collection are pending.
Folder -- Contents
- Constitution, International Brotherhood of Opperative Potters and Affliliated Unions (IBOP): 1969
- Correspondence: September, 1950 - June, 1960
- Correspondence: September, 1961 - December, 1973
- Correspondence: January, 1974 - July, 1975; and undated.
- Subject files, bid-sheets for changes in departments: July, September, 1974; and undated
- Subject files, disciplinary notices: March, May - August, 1971; October, December, 1974; April, 1975
- Subject files, grievences: August, 1964; April, 1968; April, 1973; August - October, 1974; April, 1975; and undated
- Subject files, seniority lists: 1970; 1974; and updated
- Minutes, IBOP, Local 166: May 1937 - August, 1942
- Minutes, IBOP, Local 166: January, 1943 - June, 1963
- Minutes, IBOP and International Brotherhood of Pottery and Allied Workers (IBPAW), Local 166: June, 1963 - June, 1973
- Dues ledger, IBOP, Local 166 (entries by last name): 1937 - 1942
- Dues ledger, IBOP, Local 166 (entries by date): May, 1937 - September, 1946
- Financial reports, IBOP, Local 166: November, 1966 - September, 1969
- Financial reports, IBOP, Local 166, quarterly: March - December, 1970; September, 1971 - December, 1972
- Financial reports, IBPAW, Local 166, quaterly: March, 1973 - March, 1974; September, 1974 - March, 1975.
- Auditor's reports, IBPAW: 1956; 1971 - 1972; 1974.
- Reports to U.S. Department of Labor: 1964 - 1965; 1967 - 1968; 1974.
- Miscellaneous financial records and membership lists: January, 1965 - December 1966.
- Miscellaneous financial records and membership lists: January - December 1967.
- Miscellananeous financial records and membership lists: January, 1968 - December, 1969.
- Miscellaneous lists.
- Honorary Membership applications: 1972 - 1974; and undated.
- Transfer cards: September, 1947 - May, 1970; and undated.
- Withdrawal cards: August, 1939 - October, 1955.
- Withdrawal cards: January, 1956 - October, 1959.
- Withdrawal cards: Febuary, 1960 - March, 1973.
- Notice of resignation: February, 1951 - December, 1964
- Notice of resignation: January, 1965 - March, 1974; and undated
Folder -- Contents
- Agreements between Gem Clay Forming Corporaton and IBOP, Local 166: 1945; 1954; 1962; 1965.
- Agreements between Gem Refractories Corporation and IBOP, Local 166: 1968.
- Agreements between Gem Refractories Corporation and IBOP, Local 166: 1971.
- Agreements between Gem Refractories Corporation and IBPAW, Local 166: 1973 - 1974; and undated
- Temporary wage agreements: March, 1950 - October, 1951.
- Temporary wage agreements: January, 1952 - December, 1954
- Temporary wage agreements: January, 1955 - October, 1957
- Temporary wage agreements: April, 1958 - December, 1962
- Temporary wage agreements: February, 1963 - November, 1967.
- Temporary wage agreements: January, 1968- March, 1973.
- Notes on contract neogotiations: 1940; 1959; and undated.
- Union election materials: 1952 - 1953; 1955 - 1956; 1959.
- Union election materials: 1961; 1963 - 1964.
- Union election materials: 1965.
- Union election materials: 1967 - 1968.
- Union election materials: 1969.
- union election materials: 1970 - 1973.
- Union election materials: 1974; and undated.
- Convention Proceedings, IBOP: July, 1967; July, 1968; July, 1969.
- Convention Proceedings, IBOP: July, 1971; July, 1972; July, 1973; July, 1974.
- Miscellaneous conference and meeting minutes: 1959; 1965; 1967 - 1969.
- Pamphlets, U.S. Department of Labor, Electing Union Officers (Washington, D.C.: 1960)
- Pamphlets, National Labor Relations Board, Rules and Regulations and Statements of Procedure (Washington, D.C.: 1958).
- Pamphlets, Ohio State University, Labor Education and Research Service, The Environment of the Workplace: The Occupational Safety & Health Act of 1970 (Columbus: 1970).
- Miscellaneous publications: 1967 - 1968; and undated
- Miscellaneous notes: June, 1958 - October, 1974.
- Miscellaneous items.
- Miscellaneous items.
- Xerox copy of newspaper clippings: November, 1950; December, 1967; Febuary, 1968; March, 1971; and undated
- The Labor Union, "1951 Eastern Ohio Local Union Directory of the American Federation of Labor and Railroad Brotherhood": 1951 (filed in 11th floor map case)
- Poster, Ohio Department of Industrial Relations, "Provisions Regulating Female Labor": 1955 (filed in 11th floor map case)
- Poster, Ohio Department of Industrial Relations, "Minimum Fair Wage Standards": 1956 (filed in 11th floor map case)
- Poster, Equal Opportunity Employment Commission, "Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law": 1966 (filed in 11th floor map case)
- Poster, IBPAW, "Edwin L. Wheatley Scholarship Fund":Undated (filed in 11th floor map case)
Note: At the end of the collection is a small box containing a button from the Committee on Political Education.