International Association of Machinists, Local Union 1519 records, 1934-1974
Prepared by Mary Beth Aust July 3, 1980; Prepared for the Web by Mikhail Slobodinskii, June 23, 1999
1 record storage box, 1 cubic foot, Storage
This collection is housed in a climate-controlled environment off site and requires at least up to three weeks for retrieval. Please call or email the department with requests for this material prior to planning your visit.
Scope and Content
Through the efforts of Patricia Burnett, Field Representative of the Ohio Labor History Project, and Roger Meade, Director of the Ohio Labor History Project, the American History Research Center at Kent State University obtained the records of the International Association of Machinists (IAM), Local 1519, from Donald W. Hoaglund, Secretary-Treasurer of 1519. The Archives received the records on February 28, 1980.
The Auto Mechanics Local 1519, chartered on May 22, 1934 in Youngstown, Ohio, is an affiliate of the American Federation of Labor-Congress of Industrial Organizations (A.F.L.-C.I.O.), and the Ohio State Council of Machinists. Formerly, it was associated with the Central Labor Council as well as the United Labor Council. In August, 1935, it became affiliated with the Ohio Federation of Labor. On July 14, 1965, Auto Mechanics Local 1519 changed its name to Local 1519 of the International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers (IAMAW).
The materials in this collection consist of the bound minute books of Local 1519. With the exception of the period from September, 1940, through September, 1942, the minutes cover a time span of forty years, beginning in May, 1934 and ending in June, 1974. The volumes are arranged chronologically.
These records will prove valuable to the researcher concerned with labor history and the local concerns of union members in the Youngstown area. Wage and hour agreements, strike negotiations and agreements, new memberships and local 1519 elections are included in the business of the union. Information on the reaction to political issues and candidates, as well as the interaction between the various local unions, may also be found within the collection.
If used in conjunction with other collections available in the Archives such as the records of the Diocese of Youngstown; the International Association of Machinists, Local Union 200 and Local Union 404; Bricklayers, Masons and Plasterers' International Union, Local Union 8; and other Youngstown related material, these records should offer insights into the concerns of organized labor on the local level. Researchers interested in local history should also find them of value.
The Union has kindly agreed to dedicate both literary and property rights to the Archives.
Folder -- Contents
- International Association of Machinists (IAM), Local 1519 minutes: May, 1934 - June, 1936.
- IAM, Local 1519, minutes: June, 1936 - April, 1938.
- IAM, Local 1519, minutes: May, 1938 - July, 1939.
- IAM, Local 1519, minutes: July, 1939 - August, 1940.
- IAM, Local 1519, minutes: October, 1942 - June, 1946.
- IAM, Local 1519, minutes: July, 1946 - March, 1950.
- IAM, Local 1519, minutes: March, 1950 - December, 1953.
- IAM, Local 1519, minutes: January, 1954 - June, 1957.
- IAM, Local 1519, minutes: January, 1958 - January, 1962.
- IAM, Local 1519, minutes: January,1962 - February, 1966. NOTE: Name changed to International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers, Local 1519 (IAMAW) on July 14, 1965.
- IAMAW, Local 1519, minutes: March, 1966 - April, 1970.
- IAMAW, Local 1519, minutes: May, 1970 - June, 1974.