Cryptography manuscripts, 1915-1961
Finding AidPrepared by Cara Gilgenbach, May 22, 2002; updated August 16, 2002
1 document case, .33 cubic feet, 11th floor
Scope and Content
This collection contains miscellaneous manuscripts related to the subject of
cryptography. Most items are letters. The collection, which dates from 1915-1961,
is arranged chronologically. These items are part of the Library of the American
Cryptogram Association (George C. Lamb Collection) on deposit in the Department
of Special Collections. Click here to see book holdings for this collection.
Box 1Folder -- Contents
- 1915: Correspondence of Parker Hitt and Samuel Reber [SEE ALSO item 4 below]
-- 1915, Sept. 25. Hitt, Parker. To Colonel [Samuel] Reber. [typed letter, copy], 1p.
-- 1915, Sept. 30. Reber, Samuel. To Captain [Parker] Hitt. [typed letter, copy], 1p.
- 1931, Sept. Yardley, Herbert Osborn. To William E. Betts. [typed letter, signed], 1p.
- 1931, Dec. 24. Yardley, Herbert Osborn. To William E. Betts. [typed letter,
Accompanied by: Article "Cryptograms and Their Solutions" by Herbert O. Yardley as published in the Saturday Evening Post, Nov. 21, 1931, and two unidentified photographs.
- 1938: Correspondence of Parker Hitt
-- 1938, July 14. "Phertikrat" [Hitt, Parker]. To "The Members of my Friendly Group" [typed letter, signed], 1p.
-- 1938, Sept. 16. "Phertikrat" [Hitt, Parker]. To "Members of my Friendly Group" [typed letter, signed], 1p.
- . Gaines, Helen Fouché. Elementary Cryptanalysis: A study of ciphers and their solution... Sponsored by The American Cryptogram Association. [typed document, carbon]. 305p.
- 1938. Sacco, Luigi. Manual of Cryptography. [typed document]. 277p.
[translation by Helen F. Gaines of Sacco's Manual di Crittografia,
Rome, 1936, 2nd ed.].
- 1940, Jan. 15. Piccola, [Gaines, Helen Fouché]. To Ayemache. [typed letter, signed], 1p.
- 1961, June 18. Peck, Andrew S. To B Natural [typed letter, signed] 3p.
Accompanied by: "Francis Bacon Equals William Shakespeare" by Andrew S. Peck. [typescript], 12p., 1961.
- Undated. Givierge, General M. Course in Cryptography; Translated from the French of General M. Givierge by Amsco and Piccola. [typescript], 242 p.