SEARCH UNIVERSITY LIBRARIES
Prepared by Barbara Bass, Jan. 30, 1999
1 Document case, 1/8 cu. ft., 11th fl.
A draft listing of this collection was given to the Special Collections and Archives Dept. by Nancy Stewart in 1987. The remainder of the collection was given to Special Collections and Archives in 1998. Nancy Stewart, Sr. Vice Commander of DAV Auxiliary Unit 26, Ravenna, Ohio, compiled a list of cemetery records based on records that had been made by Ernest H. Moore for the Western Reserve Historical Society in 1929 and her visits to the cemetery to read the headstones.
The Old Cemetery is located in Rootstown, Ohio on the south side of Tallmadge Road about 1 mile East of the intersection of State Route 44 and Tallmadge Road. During the 1980's the Rootstown Lions Club donated the sign that stands in front of the cemetery.
The collection includes correspondence, information about Nancy Stewart and various listings of those buried in the Old Cemetery including the veterans of several early wars. Also included are photographs taken of the cemetery in 1987. They show not only some of the beautiful headstones that have been placed at the graves but also the damage that has been done to some of the very old headstones.