SEARCH UNIVERSITY LIBRARIES
Process and Timeline - Responsible Collections Reductions Initiative 2020
1. Our collections department looks at the following data points:
2. Our collections department uses this data to develop potential reduction scenarios, listing resources that are up for review based on our available budget. Included on the list is known data that may influence decision making, including expiration dates for access.
3. The list is shared with subject librarians a week in advance of it going out to the broader community. During this time subject librarians can provide initial feedback, ask questions, and even begin to reach out to departments. At this same time, we will share 2 draft memos: 1.) dean's memo announcing Phase II to chairs, directors, deans and library reps and 2.) template of the assistant dean's memo that will cover the distribution of the list directly to departments, school and colleges. The memos will include a deadline, encouragement to meet for discussion, and a clear explanation of what decisions are required.
4. The dean sends an email memo regarding phase 2 of our “responsible collection reductions initiative to library reps, chairs, directors, deans and subject librarians. It will broadly outline budget goal, our process, and how to provide feedback. The memo will share the collections reduction web page for further information.
5. The assistant dean for technical services and collections sends an email memo directly to library reps, chairs and directors and copies subject librarians. This email provides a list of resources under review and asks for feedback, discussion and assistance in making reduction decisions.
6. Subject librarians send follow up notes if necessary, encouraging discussion and meetings.
7. Through discussions we update our data under point 1 and listen for compelling rationales about what resources to keep and what to let go. Final decisions are collected by September 18th.
8. September 21st, final decisions are shared widely, with a focus on ensuring that everyone involved understands the decisions we have had to make.
9. By October 9th, our collections department processes the cancellations, end dates are added to online access points.