ETD Submission Instructions
ETD Submission Instructions
The online submission process is largely self-explanatory. The key points to watch for are listed here. You can also download the OhioLINK Electronic Theses and Dissertations Center Submitter User Manual for more help, particularly with the initial self-registration.
- Once registered, go to the OhioLINK ETD Center and click on "Create New ETD." Most submitters would then click on "Submit This New ETD For Myself," and then "Next." You should be able to complete the submission in one sitting but can interrupt it and resume later.
- Read the "Agreement" page carefully, particularly the section titled "By submitting, you agree to the following."
- Select "Kent State University" from the drop-down menu.
- Under "I am submitting" mark the first radial button at the bottom.
- Click to indicate that you have read and agree to the terms. Click "Save and Continue" on the top right.
- Please enter your name as it appears in your thesis or dissertation and avoid using all caps or all lower case letters. The format you use here determines how your name will appear in the OhioLINK ETD Center. Make sure you have spelled your name correctly as this is how you will be found on the internet.
- Enter or paste the title of your ETD and your abstract into the form. Here, too, avoid using all caps or all lower case letters. For best results, the abstract should be in plain language without symbols or special formatting. If you paste text from Word with "smart" quotes and apostrophes or other special characters, they will get converted to unreadable characters when displayed in HTML. Take advantage of the "Preview" buttons and special character formatting information. If you have questions about formatting special characters, please contact the library.
- Providing keywords can help researchers find your work.
- A subject heading is required. The year completed, pages, and drop-down language information is recommended. Click on "Save and Continue."
- Degree and College are pretty straight-forward.
- In the section on Advisers and Committee Members enter the name of your adviser. Again, avoid using all caps or all lower case letters. It's your decision regarding including your committee members. To add them use the "Add Member" button on the right. When done, click "Save and Continue."
- Under "Copyright" select either the more traditional copyright option, or use the Creative Commons options. Be sure to familiarize yourself with the Creative Commons licenses if you are considering one.
- Do not request a publication delay unless you have filled out the Request for Delay of Posting form and gotten it approved.
- Masters theses are deposited in the OhioLINK ETD Center. They are not sent to UMI/Proquest for inclusion in their Digital Dissertations Database. Therefore Masters students should select "Do not upload my paper to UMI. Skip to Save and Continue."
- Doctoral dissertations are sent to UMI/Proquest for inclusion in their Digital Dissertations Database. There are two publication options. The traditional publishing option costs less and enables the student and UMI to earn downloads. The open access publishing option requires a special arrangement with your College or School office and will entail an extra fee that buys you essentially the same service that OhioLINK provides for free.
- Copyright registration by UMI is optional and entails a payment of $65 dollars, payable via your College or School office. You can register copyright yourself via the U.S. Copyright office for less money. See the U.S. Copyright Office Frequently Asked Questions. When done, click "Save and Continue."
- Use the "Upload Documents" space to upload your ETD PDF and any documents in other formats by browsing to the files and clicking "Upload File."
- On the "Submission Review" page, review the information about your submission for accuracy. Use the "View File" button [shaped like a magnifying glass] to verify that the uploaded copy of your ETD is correct. Click back using the "Previous" button to make needed changes. When you are satisfied with your submission, click "Submit my ETD."
- Soon after making your submission you should receive an email confirming it. If you do not receive it please contact us.