Workshop in Large Scale Enameling,
May 4 Collection -- Box 108
25th Annual Commemoration
Finding AidPrepared by Cara Gilgenbach, July 1995; Updated January 2012 by Penny White
1 slim document case, 43 ceramic enamel works on steel, mounted on 5 wood panels, 3.16 cubic feet
A workshop in large scale enameling was held on March 1995 as part of the 25th Annual Commemoration of the May 4th shootings. The workshop gave participants an opportunity to create enamels as a "lasting record of [their] visual and/or written response to the events of May 4, 1970" (workshop flyer). The workshop was held over four sessions on March 4, 5, 11, and 12. Registration was open to all Kent State faculty, students, and members of the community-at-large.
Emeritus professor of art, Mel Someroski conceived of the workshop and taught it with Deanna Robb, an art instructor. The workshop met at Van Deusen Halls Large Scale Studio. Materials were provided with support from the Ferro Corporation, Educational Equipment Corporation, Greensteel, and the 25th Anniversary Coordinating Committee.
Part of the workshop included group discussions about each artists creation, as well as the writing of an artist statement by each participant. Additionally, three artists received purchase awards after their enamels were chosen by an exhibition jury. Tina Grondin won the first place prize of $100.00. Heidrun Hultgren and Bruce Woodward each received $25.00 honorable mention prizes.
Scope and Content
The collection of enamels was donated to Kent State University Archives by the participants of the workshop. The enamels and corresponding artist statements became part of the 25th Annual Commemoration exhibit held in KSUs Archives and Special Collections.
The enamels are mounted in a collage fashion on five, half-inch-thick wooden boards (25 X 40 in.; 14 X 25 in.; 17 X 22 in.; 18 X 20 in.; 26 X 28 in.). Sizes of individual enamels vary. Some artists created two or more related enamels.
Please note that the mounted enamels are shelved on the 11th floor.
May 4 Collection -- Box 108Folder -- Contents
- Diagram identifying artists for mounted enamels
- Flyer announcing workshop
- Letter from David L. McCombs to Deanna R. Robb, 10 January 1995
- List of workshop participants
- Memo from Mel Someroski to the 25th Anniversary Coordinating Committee, 16 August 1994
- Newspaper clippings
- Names of purchase award recipients
- Workshop folder
- Artist Statements:
- Allensworth, Diane -- A Prayer for Reconciliation
- Allensworth, John -- May 4 Remembered
- Anderson, Pam -- Fractured Bands of Colour
- Anderson, Rachel -- They Died
- Collier, Cory -- Confused
- Flynn, Annie -- A Perf[e]ct Collage
- Gourley, Lori -- A Child Hears
- Grondin, Tina -- Where Have All the Flowers Gone?
- Holland, Tiff -- May 4, 1990
- Hultgren, Heidrun [untitled] [2 related works]
- Lovin, Mary C. -- Have We Learned?
- Massey, Grant -- The Pen
- Massey, Julie -- Why?
- Massey, Julie -- Rain or Shine?
- Massey, Theresa -- [untitled]
- Parsons, Jackie -- Lost
- Pearson, James A. -- Father. Forgive Them All . . . [3 works]
- Prochnow, Katy -- Fright and Confuse
- Shinn, Dorothy -- Robert Smithsons Partially Buried Woodshed & Views [four related works]
- Taylor, Rick -- [untitled]
- Thompson, Daniel -- If Light Were Music
- Vaughn, Stephanie -- [untitled]
- Westmyer, Stephanie -- Rays of Hope to Heal [2 related works]
- Woodward, Bruce -- Remember [2 related works]
- Byer, Marlene
- Crabtree, Steve [4 works]
- Flynn, Jim
- Louden, Orcelia [2 works]
- Prochnow, Virginia
- Reid, Carol [2 works]