United Steelworkers of America Local Union 2243 records, 1940-1977
Prepared by Richard D. Chicko July 15, 1980; Prepared for the Web by Mikhail Slobodinskii, June 16, 1999
1 document case, six volumes, .5 cubic feet, 11th floor
Scope and Content
Through the efforts of Patricia Burnett, Ohio Labor History Project, and Richard Swanson, Recording-Secretary of Local Union 2243, United Steelworkers of America, these records arrived on April 25, 1980, at the American History Research Center, Kent State University.
The United Steelworkers of America is an industrial union affiliated with the American Federation of Labor-Congress of Industrial Organizations. Local 2243 was founded in 1940 by the employees of the Copperweld Steel Company, Warren, Ohio, under a charter from the Steel Workers Organizing Committee and the Congress of Industrial Organizations. The Local has been active in regional, state, and national labor conventions from its beginning. It has also provided organizational and financial assistance to other local unions.
The materials in this collection consist of the bound minute books and various financial records of Local 2243. The minutes span the period from August, 1940 through April, 1977 and are arranged chronologically. The six bound volumes are oversized and in the shelf area reserved for such material. The financial materials are arranged topically and then chronologically.
This collection will be of value to researchers interested in the activities of a local union and its membership. Since financial matters are a primary focus of the collection, the records help to illustrate various economic concerns. If used in conjunction with other collections available in the Archives such as Local 717 of the International Union of Electrical, Radio and Machine Workers or Local 1617, United Steelworkers of America, this collection provides insight into labor union activity in the Warren, Ohio area. Researchers interested in the local history of Trumbull County should also find these materials useful.
- United Steelworkers of America, Local 2243, (USWA/2243), minutes: August 30, 1940-October 6, 1947
- USWA/2243, minutes: October 20, 1947-January 27, 1953
- USWA/2243, minutes: February 24, 1953-June 26, 1958
- USWA/2243, minutes: July 8, 1958-April 24, 1962
- USWA/2243, minutes: May 22, 1962-January 23, 1967
- USWA/2243, minutes: October 26, 1971-April 26, 1977
Folder -- Contents
- USWA/2243, miscellaneous minutes: April 16, 1944; July 7, 1947; June 5, 1950; July 15, 1950; July 26, 1960; January
- USWA/2243, Executive Board, minutes: October 21, 1957; November 25, 1957; January 27, 1958; February 24, 1958
- Election Tellers' Committee, notes: 1960-1973. NOTE: Includes 1973 election returns
- Correspondence: May, 1960-February, 1977
- Financial records, monthly statements: February, 1952-May, 1952; April, 1953-March, 1962
- Financial records, monthly statements: April, 1962-January, 1967; October, 1971-December, 1975; September, 1976-November, 1976; January, 1977-March, 1977
- Auditing Committee, quarterly reports: 1954, 1956, 1959-1966, 1971-1977
- Financial Secretary, reports: April, 1976-May, 1977. NOTE: Includes Treasurer's Reports: April, 1976-April, 1977
- Miscellaneous financial records: 1948-1977
- Miscellaneous items: 1950-1964. NOTE: Includes grievance petition