Libraries and Media Services, Records. Department of Special Collections and Archives, Publications
Finding AidPrepared by Cara Gilgenbach, April 12, 2002; Updated February 2014.
3 record storage boxes, 1 half-size record storage box, 1 flat oversize box, and 1 large poster folder
4.0 cubic feet; 11th floor
Scope and Content
This collection contains publications produced by the Department of Special
Collections and Archives, part of Kent State University's Libraries and Media
Services. Publications include books, periodicals, occasional papers, exhibition
catalogs, poems, and other miscellaneous items dating from 1968 through the
present. Publications are arranged in series, listed below, and in chronological
order within each series. Some publications are available for purchase through
the department. Call for details (330-672-2270).
- Exhibition Catalogs (Box 1)
- Occasional Papers (Box 2)
- Periodicals (Box 3)
- Books (Box 4)
- Keepsakes and Miscellaneous (Box 4)
- Poems (Box 4 + Oversize Box)
- Broadsides (Box 4)
- Posters (Oversize Folder)
Box 1: Exhibition CatalogsFolder -- Contents
- American Literature: An Exhibition Celebrating the Addition of the 500,000th Volume to the Kent State University Libraries, 1968
- The B. George Ulizio Collection of English & American Literature: An Exhibition on the Occasion of the Dedication of the Kent State University Library, 1971
- Paul Leicester Ford and Albion Winegar Tourgee: An Exhibition of Their Books from the Personal Collections of Paul Z. DuBois and Dean H. Keller, 1972
- Sources of Science and Technology: An Exhibit of One Hundred and one Books and Documents Showing the Development of Physical Science, Mathematics and Technology in the West, 1972
- Nathaniel Hawthorne: The College Experience. An Exhibition form the Collection of C. E. Frazer Clark, Jr., 1974
- The One Millionth Volume: An Exhibition to Celebrate the Addition of the One Millionth Volume to the Kent State University Libraries, 1974
- The Feiss Collection: An Exhibition of Books from the Library of Paul L. Feiss in the Kent State University Libraries, 1975
- Signatures of the Presidents of the United States, 1975.
- Children's Books, 1976
- English Literature, 1729-1929, 1977
- Rockwell Kent: An Exhibition of Books Written and Illustrated by Rockwell Kent from the Library of Harry Kamens, 1977
- William Carlos Williams: An Exhibition, 1979
- Father's Day: An Exhibition of Books by Fathers & Children, 1979
- Display from the Mariana Collection: 163rd Commemoration of the Birth of Baha 'U' Llah, 1980
- Across the Gulfs Between the Worlds: Ohio's Contribution to Science Fiction & Fantasy, 1981
- The Photographer's Art: An Exhibition of Prints & Books on Photography, 1981
- In the Wind of Wonder: An Exhibition of Selections from the Papers of James Broughton, 1981
- Arkham House/Mycroft & Moran: An Exhibition of Limited Edition Books Published by the Foremost Publisher of Fantasy and Macabre Fiction in This, or Any, Generation, 1983
- The Open Theater: A 20th Annivarsary Exhibition Drawn from the Company's Archives and the Papers of Joseph Chaikin, Jean-Claude van Itallie and Marianne de Pury-Thompson, 1983
- 1966-1983: An Exhibition of 100 Significant Books Acquired by the Kent State University during Hyman W. Kritzer's Tenure as Director of University Libraries, 1966-1983, 1983
- Charles Brockden Brown's "Edgar Huntly": The Making of a Critical Edition, 1984
- Tennessee Williams, 1911-1983: An Exhibition of the Work of America's Greatest Playwright, 1984
- "Black Mountain Review": A 30th Anniversary Exhibit, 1984
- Masters of 19th Century British Color Printing: 58 books from the personal collection of Professor Charles S. Felver of California State University, Chico, 
- Charles Clinch Bubb and the Clerk's Press, 1986
- Stephen R. Donaldson: An Exhibition, 1985
- The Spirit Between the Lines: An Exhibition of Translations, 1987
- High Spots from the Collections of Matthew J. Bruccoli in the Kent State University Libraries: An Exhibition, 1988
- A Gallery of Sinister Perspectives: An Exhibition of Highlights form the Borowitz True Crime Collection, 1990
- Ten Plays, An Opera and a Movie: Moments from the Career of Robert Lewis: An Exhibition Selected from His Papers, 1991
- The Art of P. Craig Russell, 1992
- van Itallie Hurrah: The Life & Work of an American Playwright, 1992
- Maggie & Mudge & May: The Books and Manuscripts of Cynthia Rylant, 1993
- An Exhibition of the Arthur Machen Collection of Albert I. and Helen O. Borowitz: A Handlist, 1994
- "Let all the number of stars give light...": Selections from the Performing Arts Collection of A. J. Flogge. Introduction by Robert Anderson., 1994
- Bookbindings, Examples from Kent's Collection, An Exhibit: Spring Semester 1996. "Three hundred copies of this catalogue have been produced, one hundred and twenty-five of which have been bound in marbled paper wrappers which were created by Jan Sobota," 1996
- Blood & Ink: An Exhibition of Highlights from the Borowitz True Crime Collection, 2002
- Mysteries of the East End: Jack the Ripper in Print and Popular Culture, Selections from the Borowitz Crime Collection, 2005
- Incunabula in the Kent State University Libraries: A guide to holdings with historical annotations regarding the works, authors, and printers from the infancy of printing, 2006
- Dimensions of Wonderland: From Alice's Adventures Under Ground to Beyond the Moon, 2007
- Musical Mysteries. Items from the Borowitz Collection. Fall 2010
- The Nature of Natural Science: An exhibition of books and archives in Special Collections. 2011
- A Doorway to the Work of W.S. Merwin, U.S. Poet Laureate, 2010-11, 2011
- Bibliomysteries: Bound by Crime, 2012
- Publishers' Canvassing Books in Special Collections and Archives, Kent State University, 2012
- From Crime to Culture: The 25th Anniversary of the Borowitz Collection, 2013
Box 2: Occasional Papers
- Wright, Richard. Letters to Joe C. Brown. Edited with an Introduction by Thomas Knipp. Preface by Hyman W. Kritzer. First series, no. 1, 1968.
- Katz, Joseph. Rare Books and Very Special Collections. Preface by Dean H. Keller. First series, no. 2, 1969.
- Bennett, Josiah Q. The Cataloguing Requirements of the Book Division of a Rare Book Library. Introduction by Hyman W. Kritzer. First series, no. 3, 1969. Second printing, revised and corrected, 1972.
- Bruccoli, Matthew J. Mere Collectors' Items. Introductory Remarks by Robert I. White, Introduction by Hyman W. Kritzer. First series, no. 4, 1969.
- Apseloff, Stanford S. James T. Ferrell: A Visit to Chicago. Introduction by James T. Ferrell. First series, no. 5, 1969.
- Six Poems/Seven Prints. Alex Gildzen, editor. First series, no. 6,
- John Ashbery
- James Bartolino
- Gwendolyn Brooks
- Denise Levertov
- Steven Osterlund
- Gary Snyder
- Grace Hartigan
- Alex Katz
- Otto Piene
- Fairfield Porter
- Harve Quaytman
- Mary Ann Begland Sacco
- Robert Smithson
- Commager, Henry Steele. The University and the Community of Learning. First series, no. 7, 1979.
- Grossinger, Richard. Grossinger's: Two Sections from The Book of the Cranberry Islands. First series, no. 8, 1972. Cover drawing by Ira Joel Haber.
- A Festschrift for Djuna Barnes on Her 80th Birthday. First series, no. 9, 1972.
- Commager, Henry Steele. Individualism, Virtue and the Common Wealth. Introduction by Don L. Tolliver. Second series, no.1, 1985.
- Donaldson, Stephen R. Epic Fantasy in the Modern World: A Few Observations. Cover by P. Craig Russell. Second series, no. 2, 1986.
- van Itallie, Jean-Claude. Calcutta. Cover drawing by Owen Fabricant. Second series, no. 3, 1987.
- Miller, Alicia Metcalf. Library Genes & Other Considerations: A Remembrance of Keyes DeWitt Metcalf. Wood engravings by Eric May. Second series, no. 4, 1989.
- Chester, Alfred. Divertissement De Coin De Rue. Introduction by Edward Field. Second series, no. 5, 1990.
- Borowitz, Albert. Eternal Suspect: The Tragedy of Alexander Sukhovo-Kobylin. Second series, no. 6, 1990.
- Taggart, John. Prompted. Poems by John Taggart. Drawings by Bradford Graves. Second series, no. 7, 1991.
- Van Dyke, Henry. Fuji. Second series, no. 8, 1993.
- Machen, Arthur. "...a little causerie about things in general ...": Arthur Machen's Notes in Montegomery Evans' Set of The Caerlton Edition of the Works of Arthur Machen. Introduction by Donald M. Hassler. Third series, no. 1, 1994.
- Stoneburner, Tony. Ralph Hodgson and the Kenyon Connexion: A Reconstructed Letter with a Prelude, Two Interludes and a Postlude. Introduction by Jack Matthews. Third series, no 2, 1994.
- Butterick, George F. "Charles Olson and the Development of a New American Poetics," From a Previously Unpublished Essay by George F. Butterick. Edited by Richard Blevins. Third series, no. 3, 1996.
- Borowitz, Albert. Which the Justice Which the Thief? The Life and Influence of Eugène-François Vidocq. Third series, no. 4, 1997.
- Lynd, Staughton. Labor History, Oral History, and May 4. Third series, no. 5, 1998.
- Marovitz, Sanford E. Humanizing the Ideal: Melville and the Greeks. Third series, no. , 2001.
- Jensen, Pamela. Some Thoughts on the Value of a Liberal Education. Third series, no. 7, 2004. Introduction by Mark Weber. [Text of a speech given by Jensen at the 2003 Friends of the KSU Libraries dinner.]
- Allen, W. B. Radicals and Librarians: Finding Inspiration in Black History. Fourth series, no. 1, 2005. Foreword by Mark Weber. [Text of speech delivered by William B. Allen in a Black History Month lecture, February 22, 2005.]
- Balch, Stephen.Why We Should Study the Constitution and Its Architects. Fourth series, no. 2, 2007. Introduction by Mark W. Weber. [Text of speech delivered by Stephen Balch, a Constitution Day lecture delivered at Kent State University September 23, 2006.]
Box 3: Periodicals
- The Serif: Kent State University Library Quarterly, Vol. 1, April 1964-Vol. 11, Winter 1975. (Note to staff: shelved in periodicals room - 1214)
- Friends of the Kent State University Libraries, Newsletter, Vol. 1,
No. 1, Spring 1973-2005
- Spring 1973
- Spring 1974
- Fall 1974
- Spring 1975
- Fall 1975
- Spring 1976
- Fall 1976
- Spring 1977
- Fall 1977
- Spring 1978
- Fall 1978
- Spring 1979
- Fall 1979
- Spring 1980
- Fall 1980
- Spring 1981
- Fall 1981
- Spring 1982
- Fall 1982
- Spring 1983
- Fall 1983
- Spring 1984
- Summer 1984
- Fall 1984
- [Winter?] 1984
- Spring 1985
- Summer 1986
- Fall/Winter 1986
- Spring 1987
- Fall 1987
- Spring 1988
- Spring 1990
- Fall 1990
- Spring 1991
- Fall 1991
- Sprint 1992
- Fall 1992
- Spring 1993
- Fall 1993
- Spring 1994
- Fall 1994
- Spring 1995
- Fall 1995
- Spring 1996
- Fall 1996
- Spring 1997
- Fall 1997
- Spring 1998
- Fall 1998
- Spring 1999
- Fall 1999
- Spring 2000
- Fall 2000
- Spring 2001
- Fall 2001
- Spring 2002
- Fall 2002
- Spring 2003
- Fall 2003
- Spring 2004
- Fall 2004
- Spring 2005
- Fall 2005
Box 4 + Flat Oversize Box: Books, Keepsakes, Miscellaneous, Poems and Broadsides
- Duncan, Robert. Medieval Scenes, 1950 and 1959. With a Preface by the author and an Afterword by Robert Bertholf. 1978.
- Bowman, George A. The Importance of Quality Education and Good Teaching: Selected Addresses by George A. Bowman, President of Kent State University, November 18, 1944-July 1, 1963. Foreword by Phillip R. Shriver. 1979.
- Fuldheim, Dorothy. The House I Live In. Friends of the Kent State University Libraries Publication Number One. 1980.
- Izant, Grace Goulder. Some Early Ohio Libraries. Friends of the Kent State University Libraries Publication Number Two. 1981.
- Snyder, Gary. Manzanita, A Keepsake of the Dedication of the Kent State University Library 9/10 April 1971. 1971. [OVERSIZE BOX]
- Mark Twain to General Grant. Department of Special Collections Keepsake. 1973.
- Hart Crane to Charles Harris. February 20, 1926. Department of Special Collections Keepsake on the Occasion of the Dedication of a Monument to Hart Crane at Garrettsville, Ohio, November 20, 1978. 1978.
- Casale, Ottavio M. An Unpublished Thoreau Letter. Friends of the Kent State University Libraries Keepsake. 1979.
- Map of the Western Reserve and the Firelands. 1833. Friends of the Kent State University Libraries Keepsake. [no date].
- Seasonal Greetings. Music from The Polycronicon. December 1972.
- Seasonal Greetings. Nativity from the Humanae Salutis Monumenta of Aarias Montanus. December 1973.
- One Millionth Volume Celebration. Invitations, 1974.
- Membership Brochure. Friends of the Kent State University Libraries, 1978.
- Membership Brochure. Friends of the Kent State University Libraries, 1991.
- Special Collections Handbook, 1978.
- Special Collections Handbook Cover, 1978.
- Bookmarks. 1981 (set of 5: Nuremberg Chronicle woodcuts (3 different images); initial letter "K" from the Kelmscott Chaucer, 1896; image from the Polycronicon, 1495).
- Doug Moore, University Photographer, 14 September-20 November 1987. [exhibition announcement], 1987.
- Postcards. (Set of 5 campus scenes: Prof. C. S. Van Deusen in front of Kent Hall; Bookstore across from campus next to the Brady; Blackbird Lake; procession from the "tabernacle"; Reading Room in the Library when it was in the Administration Building), [no date]
- "Melville's World: A Pictorial Chronology/Melville's Mind: An Artistic Commentary." [exhibition announcement and invitation], [no date]
- Memorial Booklet: Hyman W. Kritzer, Director of Libraries & Media Services, 1966-1983.
- Corman, Cid. "Dark Morning. . . ." 400 copies. December 1975.
- Matthews, Jack. "The Landowner Contemplates His Land." 500 copies. November 1976.
- van Itallie, Jean-Claude. "In That Early Time." Published in an edition of 200 copies to celebrate the conferral by KSU of an Honorary Doctor of Humane Letters Degree upon Jean-Claude van Itallie. August 27, 1977.
- Broughton, James. "Packing Up for Paradise." 600 copies. December 1977.
- Blevins, Richard. "The Death of O." 350 copies. 1978.
- Perreault, John. "Alone in Barcelona." 400 copies. 1979.
- Bronk, William. "Sizes." 500 copies. 1980.
- Anderson, Maggie. "Pine Cone Boogie." Winter Poetry Broadside No. 1. 1990. 1,500 copies.
- Chaikin, Joseph. "Character." Published in an edition of 50 copies to mark the awarding of a Doctor of Humane Letters degree to Joseph Chaikin by Kent State University, December 15, 1990. [OVERSIZE BOX]
- Beckett, Tom. "Poetry...." 1991.
- Harshman, Marc. "January Sixth." Winter Poetry Broadside No. 2. 1991.
- Blevins, Richard. "American Larch." Winter Poetry Broadside No. 3. 1992. 1,000 copies
- Gildzen, Alex. "Bon Pasco." Winter Poetry Broadside No. 4. 1993. 1,000 copies.
- Zimmer, Paul J. "The Philosophy of Ears." Winter Poetry Broadside No. 5. 1994. 1,000 copies.
- Jama, Stephen. "each sounding's its answer," a tribute to the four students killed on the Kent State University campus, May 4, 1970. Spring 1995. 100 copies printed on Gutenberg Laid; 26 lettered copies printed on Roma Tiziano at The Type High Press. Signed by the author. [OVERSIZE BOX]
- Harshman, Marc. "Gloria/Lake Erie." December 5, 1995. 100 copies.
- Cole, Michael. "Ancient Sound." Winter Poetry Broadside No. 6. 1995. 1,000 copies.
- Nurkse, Dennis. "Black River." Winter Poetry Broadside No. 7. 1996. 1,000 copies.
- Prosen, Rosemary. "Capriccio." Winter Poetry Broadside No. 8. 1997. 700 copies. Artwork by Eric May. Some copies signed by the author. [OVERSIZE BOX]
- Mills, Lloyd. "Seasonings." [Winter Poetry Broadside No. 9.] 1998. 500 copies.
- Davis, Kathe. "My Son Makes My Mother's Potato Soup in Prague." Winter Poetry Broadside No. 10. 2000. 700 copies. Linocut by Eric May. [OVERSIZE BOX]
- Metras, Gary. "The Apple in Room 203." "Published in an edition of 300 for 'A Celebration of Small Press Publishing' March 7th and 8th, 2001, Kent State University. Design and Printing by Eric May at the Type High Press, School of Art, Visual Communication Design." [OVERSIZE BOX]
- Orlowsky, Dzvinia. "A Handful of Bees." "Published in an edition of 300 for 'A Celebration of Small Press Publishing' March 7th and 8th, 2001, Kent State University. Design and Printing by Eric May at the Type High Press, School of Art, Visual Communication Design." [OVERSIZE BOX]
- Hassler, Donald M. "One Salty Lesson." Winter Poetry Broadside No. 11. 2001. 1,000 copies.
- Hassler, David. "Reaching to a Sky of Soba." Winter Poetry Broadside No. 12. 2002. Illustration by Hannah Middleton. [OVERSIZE BOX]
- "Ivy Green." Winter Poetry Broadside No. 13. 2003. [Reproduction of a Victorian-era street ballad from the Borowitz Collection]
- "Excerpt from a letter written by Maria Kent to her son William." Winter Broadside No. 1. January 2004.
Oversize Folder: Posters
- "A Gallery of Sinister Perspectives: Highlights from: The Borowitz True Crime Collection" [exhibition announcement], 1990.
- 25th Anniversary Celebration Events, 1993
- "Sources of Science and Technolog" [exhibition announcement], 1973.