Finding Aid for the Sherlock Holmes Ephemera collection
Author: Cara Gilgenbach, December 2008.
Descriptive Rules: DACS
Inclusive Dates: 1900-1999
Extent: .16 cubic feet (1 slim document case)
Physical Location: 11th floor
Abstract: This collection contains miscellaneous ephemera related to Sherlock Holmes and Arthur Conan Doyle.
Scope and Content: This collection contains a variety of ephemeral items related to the Sherlock Holmes stories and character created by Arthur Conan Doyle. Included are cigarette cards, postcards, greeting cards, and other collectibles.
Statement of Arrangement: Material is arranged alphbetically by type of material.
Preferred Citation: Sherlock Holmes Ephemera collection. Department of Special Collections and Archives. Kent State University Libraries and Media Services.
Related Material: The Borowitz Crime collection includes many publications and other materials related to Arthur Conan Doyle and Sherlock Holmes. See also the Crime-related Artifacts collection for other collectibles. Additional Conan Doyle plabills are found in the Crime-related Playbills collection.Acquisition Information: This collection was purchased by Special Collections and Archives for the Borowitz Collection in 2007 from Rupert Books.
- Cigarette card: The Cottingley Fairies (Unexplained Mysteries of the World series, no. 25). The photographs of woodland fairies, taken in 1917, were revealed as fakes in 1982, but "had fooled millions, including Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, creator of Sherlock Holmes." Issued by Brooke Bond, 1987.
- Cigarette card: General Charles George (Famous People series, no. 12). Issued by Brooke Bond Tea, 1969
- Cigarette card: Lion's Mane Jellyfish (In the Sea series, no. 17). "This poison made the jellyfish famous when it was used in Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes story, "Adventures with the Lion's Mane." Issued by Brooke Bond, 1986
- Cigarette card: Queen Victoria, Ogden's Guinea Gold Cigarettes, 1900
- Cigarette cards: Conan Doyle Characters. "Turf" cards issued by Alexander Boguslavsky. 25 full-color cards depicting characters from Conan Doyle's books. Set is green-backed issue, 1923.
- Cocktail napkin: Sherlock's Home Ales and Lagers, Minnetonka, Minnesota (2 copies), undated
- Greeting cards: A Study in Scarlet illustrations. Set of 8 cards (3 copies of the set), undated
- Invitation: A Study in Celluloid: A Producer's Account of Jeremy Brett as Sherlock Holmes by Michael Cox. Murder One, London, 1999
- Menu card: The Blue Carbuncle Dinner. The Sherlock Holmes Society of London, January 6, 1953.
- Playbill: Crucifer of Blood by Paul Giovanni. Haymarket Theatre, 1979?
- Playbill: Partners in Crime by F. G. Callan. Ipcress Productions, New End Theatre, Hempstead, undated
- Playbill: A Study in Scarlet. Grand Theatre, 1991
- Postcard: Bloomsbury Postcard Fair postcard, inscribed by Richard Lancelyn Green, 1993
- Postcard: Douglas Wilmer as Holmes in "The Speckled Band, BBC Television, Signed by Wilmer, 1964
- Print: Sherlock Holmes by Kiyoshi Tanaka. Color woodcut, undated
- Program: Sherlock Holmes: The Adventure at Sir Arthur Sullivan's by Tim Heath. Stage One Theatre, 1996
- Program: Sherlock Holmes: The Riddle of the Royal Regalia by Phil Woods. Program is partially a facsimile of The Times, June 21, 1887 issue, undated
- Prospectus: Bending the Willow by David Stuart Davies. Calabash Press, 1996
- Seal: Japan Sherlock Holmes Club (gold paper sticker, showing Holmes in profile smoking a pipe, undated