Phillip R. Shriver, Papers, 1945-65
Prepared by Barbara Bass, September 1996
3 record storage boxes, 3 cubic feet, 11th floor
"Phillip R. Shirver was born in 1922 in Cleveland, Ohio, and grew up in an academic family whose roots run deep in the soil of the Western Reserve. After graduation from John Adams High School, where he was president and valedictorian of his class, he received a four-year Cleveland Alumni Scholarship to Yale University. At Yale he was elected to Phi Beta Kappa, served as regimental commander of the Naval V-12 unit, and graduated with honors in history. During World War II he served as a lieutenant (j.g.) aboard a Pacific Fleet destroyer and participated in the Iwo Jima and Okinawa campaigns. After the war he completed his master's degree at Harvard and his doctorate at Columbia." (Years of Youth, dust jacket blurb, 1960)
From 1947-1965 he was a member of the history faculty at Kent State University. He wrote Years of Youth in 1960, a history of Kent State University. He left Kent State in 1965 to became the president of Miami (of Ohio) University until 1981. In 1983 he was elected president of the Ohio Academy. In 1984 he became the president of The Ohio Historical Society.
Scope and Content
This collection contains miscellaneous papers of Shriver including professional correspondence, newsletters and publications, faculty committee reports and publications, and clippings. The materials date from 1945-65, with the bulk dating from 1958-64.
Folder -- Contents
- Academic Procession, scattered, v. 14, no. 3-v. 16, no. 3, May 1961-May 1963.
- Alumni Association, Annual Report, 1962; a letter to the members, Jun1, 1964, from G. Vaughn Smith regarding the proposed location of Taylor Hall.
- American Association of University Professors, correspondence and miscellaneous reports, 1957-1959.
- AAUP-Council of the State Universities of Ohio, correspondence, financial reports, menutes, miscellaneous reports, 1958-1959.
- AAUP-Kent State Chapter, correspondence and other materials relating to the 1957-1958 salary study.
- AAUP-Kent State Chapter, correspondence and other materials relating to tuition exchange, 1958.
- AAUP-Kent State Chapter, "Newsletter," March 14, 1963
- AAUP, Ohio Conference of the Chapters of the, correspondence, minutes, etc., 1957-1959.
- Architectural Department, announcement of accreditation, 1962.
- "Area Development Committee (Akron), October 1962.
- Art, School of, brochures.
- Articles about Shriver.
- Arts and Sciences Building (Bowman Hall), Open House brochure, 1962.
- Arts and Science, College of, Faculty Lecture Series brochures, 1962
- Ashtabula Center, brochure, 1963, The Rapier, May 31, 1963. Student Handbook, 1961.
- Bhargava, T. N., "On Treatment of Group Dynamics...," Digraphs and incidence matrices," "On time changes...", "A Stochastic Model..."
- Bowman, President George A., articles about
- Bowman, testimonial dinner, April, 1963
- Bowman, G. A., Committee on Recognition Programs materials relating
- Business Administration, College of, semicentennial brochue.
- Calendar, Kent State, 1961-1962
- "Campus Report," 1961-1962
- Chamber of Commerce (Kent) Education Committee, brochures, clippings, notes
- Chambers, M. M., Chance and Choice...
- Citizens for Ohio's Furure, brochures, etc., 1963.
- "The Class of 1965"- A description, 1962.
- Commencement Committee, corespondence, 1963
- Commencement Programs, June 1960, June 1961, June and August 1962, June 1963, June 1965
- Comptroller-Treasurer, Annual Report, 1960, 1961.
- Correspondence of Shriver, 1951-1963,
- Council of Graduate Schools in the U.S., resolution regarding scholars, fellows, trainees, and graduate assistants, Dads' Association "Newsletter"
- Council of Graduate Schools in the U.S., resolution regarding scholars, fellows, traineer, and graduate assistants, 1963.
- Dads' Association "Newsletter," v. 1, no. 2-3, (Spring-Summer 1963)
- Daily Kent Stater, clippings and copies
- Daily Kent Stater, clippings and copies
- Daily Kent Stater, statement by former editors regarding Fraternity-Sorority Standards and Practices
- Dean of Men, "Handbook of Fraternity-Sorority Standards and Practices in Health and Safety," 1960, 1961.
- "Delta Upsilon, Introducing," [no date].
- Delta Upsilon Quarterly, April 1962.
Folder -- Contents
- Duarte, Luciano, copy of chapter dealing with Kent State from his book entitled Viagem Aos Estados Unidos, 1962.
- Eastway Center, dedication program, 1963.
- Education News, vol. 1, no. 1, Winter 1964.
- Education, College of, semicentennial program, 1960.
- "Fact File," 1960.
- Faculty publications, includes "Selected Scholarly, Technical and Professional Publications of the Staff, January 1962-January 1963," supplement no. 5.
- Fine and Professional Arts, College of, brochures and programs.
- Football programs.
- "Footnotes," March, June 1963.
- "Forum," (Interfraternity Council, Pan-Hellenic Council)., vol. 1, no. 1-2, April 29, 1963, March 9, 1964.
- "Fraternities, Kent," 1960-1961.
- "The Fraternity Way of Life," [no date].
- Graduate Council, minutes, February 5, 1964.
- Great Contemporary Issues, schedule, Winter 1962.
- Homecoming packets, 1963.
- Honors Day programs, 1963, 1964.
- International Student Affairs, Office of, brochures.
- Inter-University Council, brochure.
- "It's All Greek to Me," 1959-1960.
- Journalism, School of, "Annual Report, 1961-1962," Jargon (newsletter), December 1961.
- Kent Alumnus, Fall 1961-Winter 1964.
- Kent Coed, 1960, 1961.
- Kent State Free Press and CORE Newsletter, I, 13 (June 5, 1964).
- Lake-Olson Hall, open house brochure, 1962.
- Legislators' and Mayors' Day program, 1962.
- Mens Students Association, "The Frosh Man" (1960-1961), "The Golden Book" (1959-1960)
- Miscellaneous items.
- National Association for the Advancement of Colored People, program, 1963.
- Newman Center, brochures and flyers.
- New Student Program, New Student Week Guidebook, 1961
- Notes, miscellaneous.
- Ohio Archaeologiest, October 1959
- Ohio General Assembly, copies of H.B. 214 (1963-1964), relating to the creation of the Board of Regents.
- Ohio-Indiana American Studies Association, materials relating to the 1959 meeting.
- Organization tables, 1963
- Photos, President and Mrs. Bowman.
- Placement Bureau, "On-the-Job Evaluations of 592 Recent Teaching Graduates of the College of Education," 1963.
- Portage County Historical Society, brochure.
- President, "Bulletins," 172 (April 16, 1962), 174 (August 13, 1962), 181 (July 16, 1963).
- Psychology, Department of, pamphlet.
- Public Affairs Office, copies of clippings about Kent State, 1960, 1961 (includes "As Other See Us," 1961).
- "Religion at Kent State," 1963.
- Rhodes, James A., "Blueprint for Brainpower...," 1962.
- Salary Project (AAUP?), 1963.
- Semicentennial, minutes of the Semicentennial Committee (November 6, December 6, 1958; February 12, 1959), program
- Social Committee, "Handbook for Social Chairmen," 1960.
- Speakers Bureau, brochure.
- Sports Information Office, brochures.
- Staff Bulletin, scattered copies and clippings.
- Tanganyika Teacher Education Project, progress report, May 1963.
- Theater, University, program for the opening of the E. Turner Stump Theater, 1960.
- "The Torch" (Army ROTC), April 17 1964.
- Traffic Code, 1962-1963.
- University School, "Ideas Educational," II, 1 (Winter 1964), memo from Dean Clayton Schindler to U. school faculty regarding Administrative personnel, May 22, 1963.
- Warren Academic Center, program.
- Wenger, Roy E., "Twenty-Five Years of Graduate Study at Kent State University," 1961.
- White, President Robert I., inauguration materials.
- White, Robert I., The State of the University Address, 1963.
- Wilber, C.G., "The Idea of the University," 1962.
- WKSU-TV, schedule, 1, 2, 1964..
- Woodrow Wilson Fellowship recipients at Kent State University, 1945-62.
- Wranglers Club, correspondence, schedules, etc., 1957-1958.
- Wranglers Club, program books, scattered, 1927-1958.
- Westling, brochures.
- Henderson, Mary L., "A Characterization of Master's Degree Recipients from Kent State University of June, 1961." Office of Institutional Research, 1962.