May H. Prentice Memorial Gate
Date – Dedicated, January 5, 1935
Media – Glazed Yellow Brick and concrete
May H. Prentice Memorial Gate is the official name of the oldest gateway to Kent State University and to its original campus. Located on a diagonal at the intersection of East Main and Lincoln Streets, it was named to honor Professor Prentice (1857-1935) who had been on the faculty from 1912 until 1930. It was built with funds donated by the 1928 through 1934 graduating classes. Dedicated on January 5, 1935, Professor Prentice, too ill to attend the ceremony, died three weeks later at age 79. In keeping with the university’s rejuvenation plan and Esplanade Path, the gate and surrounding pavers were refurbished in 2010. This included cleaning the landmark and moving it several feet.
References (publications by Professor May H. Prentice) -
References (Kent State University History) -