New Statistical and Qualitative Software Licensing Policy
Beginning July 1, 2010, most statistical and qualitative software available through University Libraries will be available for an annual fee of $25. Patrons who obtain statistical and qualitative software prior to July 1st 2010 will not be assessed this annual fee until July 1st 2012 at which time, they too will be charged $25 annually for use of the software.
The fee for software obtained within a fiscal year will be prorated based on the month of purchase. Any updates released by the software manufacturers within the fiscal year, will be made available when the patron renews. If the upgrade corrects an OS issue, exceptions will be made. Past users who have the grace period but who wish to upgrade, will waive their grace period in exchange for an upgraded copy of the software.
Questions and Answers
1. What if I obtained the software before July 1, 2010 (e.g. SPSS 16.0 for Windows in October of 2009)?
- If you wish to continue licensing the software, you will be charged an annual fee beginning July 1, 2012.
- If you do not wish to pay the $25 annual fee, you can uninstall the software from your computer and return the disks and liner notes to the Audio Visual Services counter on the 3rd floor of the Library.
- If you wish to upgrade to the latest version, you will forfeit the grace period and begin paying $25 annually at the time you obtain the upgraded software.
2. What if I wish to obtain the software at a date other than July 1st?
Software obtained within a fiscal year (e.g. after July 1st 2010 and before July 1st 2011, will be prorated by the month). For example, if a patron obtains a copy from UL in September of 2010, that patron will be charged $20.83 until renewal of the software in July of 2011.
3. What if the software is for a computer lab or classroom?
Software for computer labs and classrooms (with the exception of the open public lab on the first floor of the library) will be charged $25 annually for the initial seat and $10 annually for each additional seat.
4. What if I obtain a version of the software and an upgrade is released before July 1st?
Any updates released by the software manufacturers within the fiscal year, will be made available when the patron renews. If the upgrade corrects an OS issue, exceptions will be made.