Statistical and Qualitative Software Management
Due to legacy issues in the management and culture of statistical and qualitative software use at Kent State University, and the need to comply with our software licenses, University Libraries is embarking on an education campaign this school year. We seek to bring awareness to the licensure agreements and the law.
We are also assessing the teaching and research software needs of the institution and overhauling the management of statistical and qualitative software. This includes discussions with chairs and directors about departmental/school needs, a new online database with a web interface for tracking usage and renewals, a transition from the language of 'purchase' to that of 'usage fee' which is in line with our site license agreements, and a new online system for requiring users to accept the license terms and for tracking those acceptances.
Software License Lease Principles
- You are BORROWING the software. You do not own it.
- The software must be uninstalled and returned if you are no longer enrolled in or employed by Kent State University.
- The software cannot be shared with colleagues or students.
- The software is available for academic use (teaching and research) only.
Included in the Lease
- Installation troubleshooting
- The right to run the software on the licensed machine
- Access to technical support through Statistical and Qualitative Software Support Services
- The opportunity to renew your license
- Upgrades released by the vendor during the lease will be applied at the time of renewal