Theatre and Dance Collection Development Guidelines
General Department Information
Curricular Focus and Department Goals:
The School of Theatre and Dance provides students with liberal and professional education preparing them for careers in the performing arts as artists, scholars, and educators. The School offers comprehensive programs in theatre and dance leading to the Bachelor of Fine Arts, Bachelor of Arts, Master of Fine Arts, and Master of Arts. The breadth of the program is suggested by its course offerings, which cover the areas of acting, directing, musical theatre, theatre history, criticism, script analysis, playwriting, technical production, scenery, lighting, costume design, make-up, theatre management, modern dance, ballet, jazz, dance composition, dance history, dance notation, and dance science.
Departmental Areas of Concentration:
- Nineteenth-century American theatre
- Asian-American theatre
- Playwriting and script analysis
- Suzuki movement
- Costume design
- Technical direction and sound design
- B.A. in Theatre Studies
- B.F.A. in Acting, Dance, Dance Education, Design/Technology, and Musical Theatre
- M.A. in Theatre History and Criticism
- M.F.A. in Advanced Acting
- M.F.A. in Design/Technology (concentrations in Costume, Lighting, Scene Design, Theatre Technology, and Costume Technology)
Scope of Coverage
The following subject area is collected at the advanced study level:
- Theatre History and Criticism
The following subject areas are collected at the initial study level:
The following subject areas are collected at the basic level:
- Dance Education
- Musical Theatre
Apply the Following Parameters to the Above Scope of Coveage Areas
Emphasis placed on English-language publications.
Date of Publication
New publications are chiefly collected, but earlier publications are occasionally selected to fill gaps in the existing collection.
Society or Publisher Emphasis
Emphasis placed on English-language publica Publications by university and academic presses are chiefly selected, but materials from popular and small, specialized presses are also considered.
Multiple copies of materials are purchased under special circumstances only.
- Books: Scholarly publications emphasized
- Audiovisual Materials: Acquired selectively and upon request
- Theses and dissertations: Acquired selectively and upon request
- Microform reproductions: Acquired upon request
- Current list of serials for Theatre and Dance.
- Recent issues of a limited number of theatre and dance journals are available in electronic format via the OhioLINK Electronic Journal Center: Asian Theatre Journal, Performing Arts Journal, TDR: The Drama Review, Theatre, and Theatre Topics.
Online Services and Electronic Resources:
- MLA International Bibliography
- Dictionary of Literary Biography
- Oxford Reference Online Performing Arts Resources
- Theatre Research Guide lists selected reference sources, databases, and supplementary tools.