Who Can Borrow Library Materials
Students, Faculty, and Staff
Visitors and Community Members
Community members 16 years of age or older may become Community Borrowers free of charge by requesting borrowing privileges at the Circulation Desk of the Kent Campus Main Library. Borrowing privileges can be requested at Branch and Regional Campus Library locations. All borrowers must present a valid photo ID when requesting privileges or borrowing materials.
Please see information on circulation policies (loan periods, renewals, and fines) for Community Borrowers.
Community Borrower privileges exclude remote access to licensed electronic resources, including OhioLINK resources. Although visitors may use library materials within the Libraries, some in-house resources may carry similar restrictions.
Community Borrowers may use Interlibrary Loan. Charges are $10 per filled request in addition to any charges assessed by the lending library.
Please note that Library overnight hours, from 11:00 PM - 7:30 AM during fall and spring semesters, are restricted to current students, faculty, and staff.
High School Students
For high school students under age 16 or without a valid photo ID, high school teachers/librarians have these options.
Procedures for Community Borrowers:
- All patrons with borrowing privileges must present a valid photo ID when borrowing materials.
- Community Borrower privileges are valid for one year from the date of application and may be renewed upon payment of any outstanding fines, fees, or other charges.
- Community Borrowers are limited to a maximum total check-out of 20 items. Of these 20 items, a maximum of five OhioLINK items may be either requested or checked out. If the maximum number of items is reached, the borrower must return some items before they can check out or request more items.
- Community Borrowers may specify other persons allowed to use their borrowing privileges. These users must be authorized in person by the borrower using the "proxy borrower form" available at the Kent Campus Main Library Circulation Desk, or online at http://www.library.kent.edu/proxyborrower.
- Changes in name, address, telephone number, or authorized users must be reported, in person, to the circulation desk of any Kent State University library. A valid photo ID must be presented.
- Community Borrowers are subject to all policies governing the use of Kent State University Libraries and its collections.