Milton E. Wilson, Jr. papers, 1965-1994
Prepared by Lisa Whalen, March 1997
1 document case, .33 cubic feet, 11th floor
Scope and Content
The materials in this collection include writings by Milton Wilson about rehabilitation counseling, information on the Milton Wilson Scholarship Fund, an extensive resume on Wilson, and other items establishing Wilson as an important figure to African-Americans, and the field of Rehabilitation Counseling.
This collection would be of use to researchers interested in: the field of Rehabilitation Counseling, equality and the rights of the disabled, contributions of African-American educators, and KSU faculty.
Dr. Milton E. Wilson was a faculty member at Kent State University from 1964 until his retirement in 1985. He received both his bachelors and Masters degrees from Kent, and returned here in 1964 as coordinator of Kent's Rehabilitation Counseling Program. In 1969 he became the first Dean of Human Relations at Kent, and in 1978 was named Dean of Student Affairs.
Throughout his career, Wilson strove to improve the conditions for disabled and minority students. In 1967, he established KSU's Office of Handicapped Services. He was a member of numerous organizations aimed at the disabled comminity.
Upon his retirement in 1985, he created the Milton Wilson Scholarship Fund. Its purpose was to bring minority students to the Rehabilitation Counselor Education program at Kent.
Dr. Wilson died in 1989.
Folder -- Contents
- Biographical information: includes resume (1986), obituaries
- Memoranda to students enrolled in the Rehabilitation Counselor Training program, Aug. 1965 - Feb. 1966, and undated
- Papers/Reports: relating to Dr. Wilson's "Status of the Rehabilitation Counselor Training Program" 1965
- Papers/Reports: by Dr. Wilson
- "Involvement/2 Years Later": Sept. 1970 A Report on Programming in the Area of Black Student Concerns at Kent State University 1968-1970
- "Rehabilitation: A Helping Relationship" undated
- "Communication Skills Checklist" undated
- "My Most Effective Secretaries Spoke Well of Others With A Poetry of Love" undated
- "Value Differences: Left and Right" undated
- Papers/Reports: Transcribed Papers/Presentations
- Overview of Rehab. Counseling, Sept. 3, 1985
- Banquet Address, June 1, 1985
- Papers/Reports: Miscellaneous writings by other persons
- "Keep in contact With Large Caseloads" undated.
- "Professional Amnesia" undated
- "Maximizing Resources" undated
- "The Garden of Hesperides" - Charles F. Banning, 1944
- "The Politics of Counseling" - Joseph Stubbins, undated
- "Her House is Time Tested" - Dorothy Fuldheim, 1979
- News Clippings: "Answer Man Opens Direct Line" April 6, 1978. Articles on Dr. Flack: a protegee of Dr. Wilson and first presenter of the Milt Wilson Memorial Scholarship
- Misc: Personal Papers
- Photos (2) of Dr. Wilson
- Papers about the Milton Wilson Scholarship
- Papers pertaining to the Milton Wilson Memorial Lecture: "The Nurturing Leader" Oct. 21, 1994
- Four (4) Milton Wilson Memorial Bookmarks