Edgar L. McCormick papers, 1932-1979
Prepared by Barbara Bass, March 1997
1 record storage box, 1 document case, 1.33 cubic feet, 11th floor
Edgar McCormick was born in Wadsworth and moved to Brimfield, Ohio, when he was four years old with his family when they purchased a farm. A graduate of Kent State University in 1936, he earned his doctorate from the University of Michigan in 1950. He taught English at Kent State University from 1954 to 1979 and served as Associate Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences. He was also the coordinator of the American Studies program.
A poet and historian, McCormick has written many books on both subjects. One of his books, They Also Served, includes his own life experiences while he served in the Air Corps during World War II, from 1942-1945. Another book, Working to Make It Happen, is the history of the Brimfield Memorial House Association. McCormick has been the volunteer curator and director since it began in 1963. His other writings include books of poetry: Home Place and Other Poems, Creatures Here Below, and After Equinox. Other books include Brimfield and Its People and Determined Lives.
Scope and Content
Dr. McCormick's papers include minutes of meetings of the English Department and the College of Arts and Sciences. Two publications included are "Kent Writers Club" and "Spectra." "Kent Writers Club" is full of poetry and short articles written by faculty and others. "Spectra" contains poetry written by McCormick and his Freshman Honors Colloquium.
- American Association of University Professors: Brochure: 1973
- American Association of University Professors: Committee "W" correspondence, 1973-1974.
- American Association of University Professors; correspondence, 1970-1973.
- American Association of University Professors: membership list, January 1973.
- American Association of University Professors: miscellaneous reports (includes: "Report on the Effectiveness of Senate and Administrative Policies at Kent State University," n.d.; "Second Report on Collective Bargaining," January, 1973.
- American Association of University Professors: "Report of the Special Committee of Inquiry," 1969.
- American Association of University Professors: Salary Studies, 1971/72, 1972/73, 1973/74.
- American Association of University Professors: Summer Bulletin, 1, 6, June 5, 1970, September 1, 1970.
- American Studies Program : Correspondence, 1972
- Arts and Sciences: "A Brief History," no author, n.d.
- Arts and Sciences: Buttlar, Rudolph, letter re. credit by examination, July 1, 1971.
- Arts and Sciences: clippings.
- Arts and Sciences: Committee reports - Ad Hoc Committee on Secondary Education Methods Courses, March, 1970-Educational Methods Courses, March, 1970-Committee of Pass/Fail. Proposal, Jan. 1969
- Arts and Sciences: Constitution, n.d.
- Arts and Sciences: Dean, addresses (remarks of B. Harkness, September 22, 1970).
- Arts and Sciences: Dean, correspondence, 1959-1973
- Arts and Sciences: Faculty Lecture Series, brochures, 1972.
- Arts and Sciences: Faculty meeting minutes, October 1, 1973
- Arts and Sciences: Faculty Senate, Charter
- Arts and Sciences: Faculty-staff lists, 1964-65, 1966.
- Arts and Sciences: Feldman, Rodney, correspondence, 1969.
- Arts and Sciences: Forgiveness Policy for Veterans
- Arts and Sciences: Dean Bruce Harkness, miscellaneous items.
- Arts and Sciences: miscellaneous items.
- Arts and Sciences: "Notes and Notices," October 22, 1971, June 5, 1973 (also see A.&S. "Quarterly Bulletin").
- Arts and Sciences: organizational chart of the Dean's office, 1964.
- Arts and Sciences: Parks, John, "Position Paper inSupport of the F.L. Requirement," n.d.
- Arts and Sciences: "Quarterly Bulletin," September 21, 1970 (also see A.&S. "News and Notices").
- Arts and Sciences: Silvidi, A.A., "Administrative Organization of the College of Arts and Sciences," n.d.
- Biology 105: Assignments, 1932-1933
- College of Education: Requirements, 1965-1967
- Computer Registration System, 1969.
- Dyal, Robert A.- "Civil Disobedience and the Christian", 1977
- English Dept.: Basic Studies Steering Committee, minutes, 1969-1970
- English Dept.: Clippings, 1956-57, 1962
- English Dept.: Correspondence, 1955-1959
- English Dept.: Correspondence, 1960-1963
- English Dept.: Correspondence, 1964-1968
- English Dept.: Correspondence, 1969-1975
- English Dept.: Curriculum Committee, correspondence, 1964-1970
- English Dept.: English 160-161-162, syllabus, 1956-1957
- Englsih Dept.: Grievance procedure, May 16, 1964
- English Dept.: Lectures; speaker lists, 1963-1964.
- English Dept.: Meeting minutes (scattered, 1964-1969);
- English Dept.: Miscellaneous
- "English Department News" (Newsletter); scattered issues, 1963-1968.
- English Dept.: Plans of Organization, 1962, 1968, 1975-1976
- English Dept.: Staff lists, 1962-1976
- English Dept.: Steering Committee and Executive Committee minutes; scattered, 1961-1970
- English Dept.: Undergraduate Studies Committee meeting minutes, scattered, 1967-1970; Association of Graduate English Students minutes October 30, 1969
- Faculty Senate: Correspondence, Committee system 1969-1971
- Faculty Senate: Executive Committee, statement
- Faculty Senate: Minutes, 1969-1971
- Fiscal State of the University, Oct. 26, 1973
- "For Joe Begala, April 27, 1978": article
- Graduate Faculty: Correspondence, Bylaws, 1969-1970
- Hassler, Donald M., "The Irrational, the Golden Age, and the Christian"
- Institutional Planning Committee, miscellaneous items
- Liason Committee: minutes & memos, 1966-1969
- May 4: "Interim Report of the Select Committee to Investigate Campus Disturbances"; The Militant, v. 34, no. 18, May 15, 1970
- MFL Placement test; evaluation
- Ohio-Indiana American Studies Association, correspondence, 1974
- Olds, President Glenn A., 1971-1975
- Olds, President Glenn A., letter to the university community re. long range planning, Sept. 18, 1972
- Poetry and correspondence by Maurice Baum, 1980
- Policy statements: Dept. of English and University, 1952?, 1965
- Position statement, July 15, 1971
- Remedial English, news clippings, 1959
- Retirement monies
- SDS Constitution
- SDS disturbance: news clippings, 1969
- Shriver, Phillip: clippings, 1965 and booklet from inauguration at Miami U.,Oct. 14, 1965, Staff Bulletin, v. 2, no. 6, Mar., 1965
- Student Affairs Council: annual report, 1968/69
- Student Affairs Council: minutes, Jan. 16, 1969
- Student Unrest: bulletins, 1969
- Prof. Dr. Anna Schafheitlin: correspondence, 1967
- White, Robert I.: correspondence, 1970-1971
- Publications: The American Examiner, v. 4, no. 1, Fall, 1975
- Publications: English Association of Ohio. Bulletin, v. 1-6, March 1960-Oct. 1965
- Publications: KSU Position Papers, 1970
- Publications: Kent Writer's Club, Jan. 25, Feb. 21, Mar. 1, Oct. 24,1934; Feb. 19, 1935
- Publications: Spectra ( Publication of Edgar McCormick and his Freshman Honors Colloquium), 1978-1979
- Scrapbook: Maurice Baum's columns from the Akron Times Press, 1936-37