Dav Pilkey papers, 1991-1999
InventoryPrepared by Christine Borne, December 13, 2001
1 document case + 1 flat oversized box, .5 cubic foot, 11th floor
Born in Cleveland, Ohio, Dav Pilkey attended Kent State University, where an English professor encouraged him to write children's books. In 1986, he entered the National Written and Illustrated By... Contest for Students and won first place with his book World War Won.
Notable among Mr. Pilkey's books are Dog Breath, Kat Kong, Dogzilla, The Hallo-wiener, and the Captain Underpants series.
Scope and Content
The collection consists of several manuscripts and original pencil illustrations, mostly related to the Captain Underpants series. Titles are arranged by their approximate date of publication. Of particular note is the inscribed copy of Class Clown, Mr. Pilkey's newsletter.
Folder -- Contents
- Correspondence -- card featuring "Kat Kong", from Pilkey to Jeanne Somers, 
- Illustrations -- Captain Underpants characters, preliminary sketches, [no date]
- Illustrations -- Captain Underpants and the Attack of the Talking Toilets, pencil drawings, undated
- Manuscripts -- God Bless the Gargoyles and The Paperboy, handwritten drafts on single legal pad, 
- Manuscripts -- The Adventures of Captain Underpants, dummy proof,  (3 folders, filed in oversized box)
- Manuscripts -- The Adventures of Captain Underpants, dummy proof with editing marks by Cynthia Rylant, 
- Manuscripts -- The Adventures of Captain Underpants, cover proof, 1996
- Manuscripts -- Captain Underpants and the Attack of the Talking Toilets, typed draft with pencil illustrations, 
- Manuscripts -- Captain Underpants and the Invasion of the Incredibly Naughty Cafeteria Ladies from Outer Space, typed draft with pencil illustrations, 1998
- Newsletter -- Class Clown, inscribed by Pilkey, 
- Newspaper Clipping -- Record-Courier, Ravenna, Ohio, 1991