Finding Aid for the Borowitz crime-related LP collection
Author: Mary N.S. Richardson, January 2008.
Descriptive Rules: DACS
Origination: Borowitz, Albert and Borowitz, Helen Osterman
Inclusive Dates: 1956-1986
Extent: 2.64 cubic feet (8 LP boxes)
Physical Location: 11th floor
Abstract: The Albert Borowitz crime-related LP collection encompasses a variety of sound recordings ranging from spoken word to opera. The elements of crime range from the wild west, true crime related material, and fictional crime.
Scope and Content: The Borowitz crime-related LP collection contains a variety of recordings relating to crime in some way. The collection captures several elements of crime expressed through spoken word, operas, broadway soundtracks, broadway collections, motion picture soundtracks, and historical collections of songs.
Statement of Arrangement: Material is arranged alphabetically by subject, and then alphabetically by title.
Preferred Citation: Borowitz Crime-related LP collection. Department of Special Collections and Archives. Kent State University Libraries and Media Services.
Separated Material: LPs relating to the subject of Jack the Ripper have been separated from this collection, and are now within the Jack the Ripper collection, 1888-2006.
Restrictions on Access: Collection is for onsite listening use only.
Restrictions on Use: Reproductions will not be made due to copyright restrictions.
Acquisition Information: Albert and Helen Borowitz donated this collection to Special Collections and Archives.
Processing Information: Subjects and added information were supplied by the processor.
Technical Requirements: LP recordings--playback on phonograph player, available in the Special Collections and Archives reading room.
Bibliography: The following sources were consulted in the description of materials in this collection.
- Borowitz, Albert. Blood & Ink: An International Guide to Fact-Based Crime Literature. Kent: Kent State University Press, 2000.
- The Internet Movie Database. http://www.imdb.com/ (accessed January 2008).
- Beggar's Opera: Mr. John Gay's The Beggar's Opera, Conducted by Max Goberman, undated.
- Beggar's Opera: Beggar's Holiday/Bet Your Life, (Beggar's Holiday is a Broadway musical based on The Beggar's Opera), undated.
- Beggar's Opera: Ben Bagley's Everyone Else Revisited, (Features a medley of songs from Beggar's Holiday), 1980.
- Beggar's Opera: Zero Mostel Sings Harry Ruby's Songs My Mother Never Sang, (Zero Mostel starred in Beggar's Holiday), 1966.
- Beggar's Opera: Bertolt Brecht's A "Man's" a Man, (Brecht also wrote Threepenny Opera which is based on The Beggar's Opera), 1965.
- Bonnie and Clyde: Dick Powell in Hollywood 1933-35, (Features songs from the movie Gold Diggers of 1933 which is featured in the 1967 film Bonnie and Clyde), undated.
- Don Giovanni: Bernard Shaw: Some of His Broadcasts (Shaw's Man and Superman is a parody of Mozart's Don Giovanni), undated.
- Don Giovanni: Great Artists at the Met: Ezio Pinza (Pinza's greatest role in opera was Don Giovanni), 1978.
- Don Giovanni: Tallulah, (Helen Gallagher who plays the lead was a guest on the Ezio Pinza Show is the 1950s), 1983.
- Fictional Crime: Anatomy of a Murder Soundtrack to the Motion Picture, undated.
- Fictional Crime: Actors and Actresses, (Features scenes from several Shakespearean dramas and a Sherlock Holmes play), undated.
- Fictional Crime: Authors and Actors, (Features scenes from several Shakespearean dramas), undated.
- Fictional Crime: Baker Street: A Musical Adventure of Sherlock Holmes, Original Broadway Cast Album, 1965.
- Fictional Crime: A Collector's Companion to the Musical Theatre, Volume One: 1903 The Prince of Pilsen/1911 The Pink Lady, 1986.
- Fictional Crime: The Crooked Mile, 1980.
- Fictional Crime: Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, starring Fredric March, undated.
- Fictional Crime: First Impressions, (The musical features Polly Bergen who played a lead role in the 1962 film Cape Fear), undated.
- Fictional Crime: Harrison Birtwistle: Punch and Judy, The London Sinfonietta, 1980.
- Fictional Crime: Marry Me a Little, Songs by Stephen Sondheim (Sondheim wrote the musical about the murderous barber Sweeny Todd), 1981.
- Fictional Crime: People Past and Present: Ellen Terry (A Reminiscence by Sybil Thorndike), 1971.
- Fictional Crime: Riccardo Zandonai: Francesca Da Rimini, undated.
- Fictional Crime: The Robber Bridegroom, Original Broadway Cast, 1978.
- Fictional Crime: Seven Brides for Seven Brothers/Rose Marie Original Soundtracks, 1973.
- Fictional Crime: Show Boat, Henri Rene and His Orchestra, 1959.
- Fictional Crime: Vaughan Williams: A Sea Symphony/The Wasps, London Philharmonic Orchestra, 1975.
- Fictional Crime: Very Good Eddie Original Broadway Cast, (Music writtent by Jerome Kern who also wrote Show Boat), undated.
- Gilbert and Sullivan: Ages Ago written by W.S. Gilbert and composed by Frederic Clay, Directed and Conducted by Frederick S. Roffman, 1970.
- Gilbert and Sullivan: At the Drop of a Hat (Early in their career, Michael Flanders and Donald Swann wrote the song "In The D'Oyly Carte"), undated.
- Gilbert and Sullivan: The Gondoliers/Cox and Box, The D'Oyly Carte Opera Company, undated.
- Gilbert and Sullivan: H.M.S. Pinafore, The D'Oyly Carte Opera Company, undated.
- Gilbert and Sullivan: Iolanthe, The D'Oyly Carte Opera Company, undated.
- Gilbert and Sullivan: Mikado, The D'Oyly Carte Opera Company, undated.
- Gilbert and Sullivan: Pineapple Poll, Royal Philharmonic Orchestra, undated.
- Gilbert and Sullivan: The Pirates of Penzance, The D'Oyly Carte Opera Company, undated.
- Gilbert and Sullivan: Princess Ida, The D'Oyly Carte Opera Company, undated.
- Gilbert and Sullivan: Ruddigore or (The Witch's Curse), The D'Oyly Carte Opera Company, undated.
- Gilbert and Sullivan: The Sorcerer, The D'Oyly Carte Opera Company, undated.
- Gilbert and Sullivan: Thespis or The Gods Grown Old, Fulham Light Operatic Society, undated.
- Gilbert and Sullivan: Trial by Jury, The D'Oyly Carte Opera Company, undated.
- Gilbert and Sullivan: Utopia Limited or The Flowers of Progress, The D'Oyly Carte Opera Company, 1976.
- Gilbert and Sullivan: Yeomen of the Guard, The D'Oyly Carte Company, undated.
- Gilbert and Sullivan: Sullivan: The Grand Duke/Ivanhoe/The Rose of Persia etc, 1972.
- Gilbert and Sullivan: Sullivan: 'Irish' Symphony & Overture 'Di Ballo', Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra, 1968.
- Gilbert and Sullivan: Sullivan: Piano Music/Instrumental Music, 1974.
- Gilbert and Sullivan: Sullivan: The Tempest, etc, City of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra, 1972.
- Mozart and Salieri: Nicolai Rimsky-Korssakoff Mozart und Salieri op. 48, Conducted by Marek Janowski, 1982.
- Mozart and Salieri: Rimsky-Korsakov Mozart and Salieri, Paris Philharmonic Orchestra and Chorus, 1974.
- Mozart and Salieri: Rimsky-Korsakov Mozart and Salieri Opera in One Act, Bolshoi Theatre, 1965.
- Musical Revues: Ben Bagley's Maken Mine Manhattan and Great Revues Revisited, 1977.
- Musical Revues: The Greatest Song Hits of Walter Donaldson, 1973.
- Musicals: After the Ball: A Treasury of Turn-of-the-Century Popular Songs, 1974.
- Musicals: Booth Tarkington's Seventeen, Original Cast, 1976.
- Musicals: The Joyce Grenfell Collection, undated.
- Musicals: Kid Millions/Roman Scandals Original Soundtrack, undated.
- Musicals: Naughty Marietta, Conducted and Directed by James R. Morris, 1981.
- Musicals: Souvenirs of Hot Chocolate, 1978.
- Musicals: Sweethearts, 1980.
- Musicals: Vaudeville: Songs of the Great Ladies of the Musical Stage, 1976.
- Musicals: The Young, the Beautiful, the Imcomparably Talented Beatrice Lillie Sings, 1965.
- S. J. Perelman: Cole Porter's Alladin, (Based on a Television Play by S. J. Perelman), 1960.
- S. J. Perelman: S. J. Perelman Reads, 1962.
- True-Crime Related: Alban Berg Wozzeck, Berlin Opera, Includes Opera News vol. 49(9) that discusses Alban Berg's Wozzeck, (Based on Georg Buchner's book Woyzeck, which was inspired by a real murder case of Johann Christian Woyzeck), undated.
- True-Crime Related: Anya, Original Broadway Cast Recording, (Based on the Princess Anatasia story), 1965.
- True-Crime Related: Bing Crosby in Hollywood 1930-1934, (Bing Crosby stared in Maxwell Anderson's High Tor), undated.
- True-Crime Related : Carl Jonas Love Almqvist Free Fantasies, (Almqvist wrote the true crime novel The Queen's Diadem as well as being charged with arsenic poisoning among other things), 1976.
- True-Crime Related: High Tor Original soundtrack (Lyrics were written by Maxwell Anderson who wrote the play Winterset which was inspired by the Sacco and Vanzetti trial), undated.
- True-Crime Related: Lizzie Borden a Family Portrait in Three Acts, New York City Opera, 1965.
- True-Crime Related: Mata-Hari, Written and Directed by Adolfo Marsillach, 1983.
- True-Crime Related: The Murder Trial of William Palmer, Surgeon, (English serial poisoner who lived during the 1800s),1958.
- True-Crime Related: Other Songs by Leiber & Stoller, (The song Tango is about the murder of Hollywood actor Ramon Navarro), 1978.
- True-Crime Related: Starring Fred Astaire, (Astaire frequently worked with Irving Berlin who wrote a lynching protest song in the 1930s entitled "Supper Time", 1973.
- True-Crime Related: Who Shall Rule This American Nation? Songs of the Civil War Era by Henry Clay Work, 1975.
- True-Crime Related: William Bergsma Scenes from The Wife of Martin Guerre oprea in 3 acts, (Based on the Martin Guerre story), 1956.
- Wild West : The Badmen, Songs, Stories and Pictures of the Western Outlaws from Backhills to Border 1865-1900, 1963.
- Wild West : The Copeland Album, Leonard Bernstein New York Philharmonic, (Includes "Billy the Kid Ballet Suite"), 1970.
- Wild West : The Legend of Jesse James, Songs by Paul Kennerley, 1980.