Borowitz Crime Ephemera: Film Stills and Lobby Cards, 1958-82
Prepared by Cara Gilgenbach, June 20, 2002
Updated by Dyani Scheuerman, February 10, 2003
1 half-size record storage box + 1 oversize document case, .75 cubic foot, 11th floor
Scope and Content
This collection consists of film stills (photographs) and lobby cards (small
posters used to advertise films) from crime-related movies. Material is arranged
alphabetically by film title. Additional information is included in
The material was donated to Kent State University by Albert and Helen Borowitz.
NOTE TO RESEARCHERS: The inventory below is only a partial listing of the items in this collection. Additional materials will be added as they are processed. Check back for updates.
Box 1: Film Stills
Folder -- Contents
- [Billy the Kid]. The Left-Handed Gun,  [five stills, b&w].
- [Billy the Kid]. One-Eyed Jacks,  [one still, b&w].
- [Billy the Kid]. Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid,  [one still, color].
- The Bliss of Mrs. Blossom,  [four stills, two color, two b&w]. [Based on the case of Otto Sanhuber, the "attic lover" who murdered Fred Oesterreich, 8/22/1922. See Alan Hynd, The Case of the Attic Lover, and Other True Crime Stories, Pyramid Books, 1958].
- Breaker Morant,  [one still, b&w]. [Set during the Boer War, three Australian lieutenants are tried for the killing of Boer prisoners].
- Dr. Crippen,  [three stills, b&w] [Based on the case of Dr. Hawley Harvey Crippen, hanged in 1910 for his wife's murder].
- Dog Day Afternoon,  [one still, b&w]. [Based on a Brooklyn incident in which a man attempted to rob a bank to finance his lover's sex-change operation].
- Fatal Vision [NBC mini-series], 1984 [one still, b&w]. [Based on the book of the same name by Joe McGinniss about the trial of Dr. Jeffrey MacDonald, former Green Beret, accused of murdering his wife and daughters].
- The Fixer, [no date, 1968?] [one still, b&w]. [Based on the Mendel Berliss "Blood Libel" Trial].
- The Girl in the Red Velvet Swing,  [two stilsl, b&w]. [Based on the case of Harry Thaw, the jealous husband of Evelyn Nesbitt, who murdered Stanford White in 1906].
- I Want to Live!  [one still, b&w]. [Based on the case of Barbara Graham, executed in California, for murder, in 1955].
- In Cold Blood,  [one still, b&w]. [Based on the book by Truman Capote, In Cold Blood: A True Account of a Multiple Murder and Its Consequences].
- Jekyll & Hyde ... Together Again,  [one still, b&w]. [Comedy based on original story of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson].
- Jekyll's Inferno,  [one still, b&w]. [A continuation of the story of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson].
- Joe Hill,  [eleven stills, b&w]. [Based on the execution of Joe Hill, U.S. labor leader who was accused of murder].
- Lady in the Iron Mask  [one still, b&w]. [Based on the book Man in the Iron Mask by Simon Dumas].
- The Little Shop of Horrors,  [one still, b&w] [Comedy horror film about a bloodthirsty plant, which was later turned into a stage musical].
- Looking for Mr. Goodbar,  [two stills, one color, one b&w]. [Based on the book by Lacey Fosburgh, Closing Time].
- Marat/Sade,  [three stills, b&w]. ["The persecution and assassination of Jean-Paul Marat as performed by the inmates of the asylum of Charenton under the direction of the Marquis de Sade"].
- Mata Hari,  [one still, b&w]. [Based on the life of a female German spy working in Paris in 1917].
- Phantom Lady,  [one still, b&w]. [Based on the novel of the same name by William Irish].
- Ragtime,  [one still, b&w]. [Based on the 1975 novel of the same name by E. L. Doctorow].
- Sacco e Vanzetti [Sacco and Vanzetti],  [four stills, b&w]. [Based on the case of two Italian immgrants who were accused of murder in 1920, found guilty, and executed in 1927, against the protest of many Americans who believed that Sacco and Vanzetti had been unjustly accused and tried because of their radical political beliefs].
- Where's Jack?  [twenty seven stills, b&w]. [Based on the case of Jack Sheppard, a highway robber who became legendary for running from the law].
Box 2: Lobby Cards
- Lucky Luciano,  [eight cards, color] [Based on the case of Charles Luciano, a Mafia gangster who launched a "war" against his enemies in New York in 1928].
- The Molly Maguires,  [one card, color] [Based on the
case of an underground terrorist organization in the mining communities of
Pennsylvania in 1876].
- Night Must Fall,  [one card, color]