These web pages provide guidance for the preparation and submission of their papers to the OhioLINK Electronic Thesis and Dissertation Center.
Guidelines for the Preparation of Honors Papers
These are the steps to take for submitting an Honors paper electronically.
1. After successfully defending your paper, make any required final corrections. Make certain the approval signature page includes the names as well as the titles of the people who will be signing the page. Place each name just below or next to the line that person will sign.
2. Convert the final corrected copy to PDF format (see the PDF How-To). Avoid web services that may insert advertisements into your document. Do not password the file or add other forms of security to it.
3. Print two copies of the approval signature page mentioned in step 5, take them to your advisor with the final copy of the document, and obtain all needed signatures. There is no need to print copies of the abstract since you will be submitting it online.
4. Follow the Submission Instructions below to submit your thesis. Soon after making your submission you should receive an email confirming it.
5. Get in touch with the Honors College if you need to confirm receipt of your submission.
6. Be prepared to resolve any outstanding issues with the format of your Honors paper after the College reviews it.
7. You should receive another email when your submission has been approved
Submission How-To Instructions For Honors Papers
The online submission process is largely self-explanatory. The key points to watch for are listed here. You can also download the OhioLINK Electronic Theses and Dissertations Center Submitter User Manual for more help, particularly with the initial self-registration. You should be able to complete the submission in one sitting but can interrupt it and resume later the same day as noted in (5) below.
1. Read the What you agree to page carefully.
2. Once registered, go to the OhioLINK ETD Center and click on "Create New ETD."
3. Read the "Agreement" page carefully, particularly the section titled "By submitting, you agree to the following."
4. For Institution / Unit select: Kent State University Honors College.
5. Select that you are submitting “My paper’s bibliographic information, abstract and full text.” Click the agreement box. Click on “Save and Continue”
6. Please verify your name as it appears in your thesis and avoid using all caps or all lower case letters. The format you use here determines how your name will appear in the OhioLINK ETD Center. Make sure you have spelled your name correctly as this is how you will be found on the internet.
7. Type or paste your title and abstract into the Information About Your Paper page. Here, too, avoid using all caps or all lower case letters. For best results, the abstract should be in plain language without symbols or special formatting. If you past text from Word with "smart" quotes and apostrophes or other special characters, they will get converted to unreadable characters when you save the page and generate warning messages. If this happens, fix the text using regular keyboard characters and save the page again.
8. Provide as much contact information as you can in case we need to contact you about your submission. This is especially true if you will be moving soon. If you have any questions about formatting or special characters on this page or the next, contact us before (or immediately after) making your submission.
9. Providing keywords can help researchers find your work.
10. A subject heading is required. The year completed, pages, and drop-down language information is recommended. You may enter the year completed and the number of pages. Click on "Save and Continue."
11. Degree and College are pretty straight-forward.
12. In the section on Advisers and Committee Members enter the name of your adviser. Again, avoid using all caps or all lower case letters. It's your decision regarding including your committee members. To add them use the "Add Member" button on the right. When done, click "Save and Continue."
13. Under "Copyright" select either the more traditional copyright option, or use the Creative Commons options. Most students select the first (Fair Use) option. Be sure to familiarize yourself with the Creative Commons licenses if you are considering one.
14. Do not request a publication delay.
15. In the UMI section, select “Do not upload my paper to UMI.” Click “Save and Continue”.
16. Use the "Upload Documents" space to upload your ETD PDF and any documents in other formats by browsing to the files and clicking "Upload File."
17. On the "Submission Review" page, review the information about your submission for accuracy. Use the "View File" button [shaped like a magnifying glass] to verify that the uploaded copy of your ETD is correct. Click back using the "Previous" button to make needed changes. When you are satisfied with your submission, click "Submit my ETD."
18. Soon after making your submission you should receive an email confirming it. If you do not receive it please contact us.
Submission Returned To You For Review
1. Sometimes your ETD reviewer will need to return your ETD submission for changes. You will receive an email informing you that your ETD submission has been returned for review. This email includes the reasons why the submission was returned and a link to the submission page.
2. Please note that when you are asked to "submit the ETD again" that this does not direct you to initiate an entirely new submission. Instead:
3. Follow the link to https://etdadmin.ohiolink.edu and log into the ETD submission site. Once you are logged on, you will see your ETD information, including information on the right regarding why the ETD was returned to you.
4. DO NOT click on "Create New ETD." Instead, click on the pencil on the left of your ETD submission.
5. At the bottom of each page there may be a section titled "Reviewer Notes." Address the issues discussed in the notes. If there are no Reviewer Notes on a page, click on "Save and Continue" and move on to the next page.
6. You may be asked to make changes to your ETD document. To do so, go to the "Document Upload" page. At the bottom is the link to your document. Click on the silver recycle can on the left to remove your document. Now upload your revised document.
7. Go to the "Review" page and when ready, click on "Submit my ETD."
8. An email will be sent to you and to your reviewer that your ETD has been submitted.